The Gen 5.3 meets the Philadelphia Orchestra and AVShowrooms

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Today is the unveiling of the Gen 5.3 at Robert Grossman's AVShowrooms review studio. Bob is a 30+ year member of the Philadelphia Orchestra. He is friends with Charles Dutoit, Ricardo Muti and conductors and famous performers all over the world. Bob just finished a review of the surprisingly good ModWright KWI 200 with his Maggie 3.6s. The Gen 5.3s are going to offer him a very different (and I believe, more accurate) view of the music.

Assisting in the Gen 5.3 setup today will be Loren Lind, 35+ year veteran Flautist of the Philadelphia Orchestra and orchestra stage personnel mgr. Edward Barns. Filming the event will be AVShowrooms' director Peter Breuninger. Pics forthcoming.

Gary Koh of Genesis will be making his AVShowrooms's locational film debut, on Monday April 15. Backstage passes will be available for the April 15 event. Please PM the OP.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff...thanks Peter. Good luck Gary!!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I heard the 5.3's at TAVES last year and loved them. Spent a good hour with Gary in his room and told him how I would love to own a pair. They're out of my league, but the G7.1f's weren't, so I jumped on those and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for posting this Peter! Looking forward to the video!:)

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
The Gen 5.3s are up and running and they sound absolutely stunning. It took most of the day to get the speakers positioned and adjusted correctly. You can see them at the first position we tried at end of following video (this video will be temporary- Bob and Loren really yuck it up).

gen1.jpg

gen2.jpg

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks, Peter. That outtake was fun! It will be great to hear the orchestra players perspective of what my speakers sound like. Bob, if I'm not wrong, is a bassoon player. Next to a clarinet, the bassoon is extremely difficult to get right because of the harmonics involved.

As kinda expected, the speakers are set up with much, much too much toe-in. We'll talk about that when I get there next week.

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Gary Koh visits Philadelphia Orchestra member, Robert Grossman.

Gary.jpg

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Here are the Gen 5.3s in action last month:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary Koh visits Philadelphia Orchestra member, Robert Grossman.

Thanks, Peter. It was great to meet you and Loren too. Bob has an awesome music collection, and an encyclopedic knowledge of all music. I was surprised to find out that as a classical orchestra member, he had so much Trance and House :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing