Stillpoints Ultra Vs - Wilson X1/Grand Slamms

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
So...they finally arrived. The Stillpoints distributor and a local dealer whom i have known for years but never done business. Armed with a dozen boxes of Stillpoints Ultra Vs...second time in over 20 years i think i've ever considered buying anything of scale brand new. They came to set up the Ultra Vs by unscrewing the entire spike and attachment into the base of the 600lb Wilson X1s...as an audition. If i did not like them...take them all out and back go the spikes.

We ended up doing one speaker at a time...since Stillpoints makes adaptors for nearly every screw hole...we used the ones for Wilson speakers and got to within a few millimeters on the same height as my original spike sets. First speaker...Left v Right...well, i had already decided there was no going back. The bass in the right was thick (as i have always known it was)...and the left was delineated and tight...an improvement of perhaps 30%. Further the left soundstage was back about another 3 feet relative to the Right speaker.

They then handed me an LP Isolator...normally for Turntables...but in my case to put on top of my Zanden Transport. Now bear in mind, the Zanden Transport is designed with alternating layers of 1" acrylic and 1" aluminum...4-5 layers. I then added HRS Nimbus couplers AND and HRS M3 isolation platform...all on top of a 400lb specially designed equipment rack which is further isolated on top of 1" of slate. Damn, if the bass did not tighten up again...about 10%-15%.

Interestingly...after setting up the Right speaker...and also putting 3 more under my Velodyne DD18 sub...i now hear a totally different MIDRANGE presentation...not in any way changed in terms of tonality or 'character'...but whereas before on deep house electronic music...things that sounded like sliding sheet metal...actually is more like a heavy zipper close-miked...you hear each individual bit of metal as something is slid across it. Violins have roisin and texture in ways they did not before.

I also use one Track as a reference which i have heard in the most detailed system ever...Audio Exotics in Hong Kong...and i am amazed at how far my system has come. In terms of instrumental separation and detail, i am now there...the soundstage is not as deep...but my room is also much smaller. Cool

Going next door...i dont hear 'long whumps' even on deep bass of house music...i can hear individual beats. Muting my Gryphon Colosseum amp...with just the DD18 playing...you hear detail even in very very deep bass *and my cut off is 39hz), you can hear instant stacaccto hits which normally sound like big bumps. Very cool.

Conclusion? In my room...and in that of a number of other large speaker and Wilson speaker owners i have spoken with...Stillpoints Ultra Vs are incredible. I am keeping them.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Good to hear , as predicted may I add ;) .... How many did you end up with , did you get the bases as well ?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
So...they finally arrived. The Stillpoints distributor and a local dealer whom i have known for years but never done business. Armed with a dozen boxes of Stillpoints Ultra Vs...second time in over 20 years i think i've ever considered buying anything of scale brand new. They came to set up the Ultra Vs by unscrewing the entire spike and attachment into the base of the 600lb Wilson X1s...as an audition. If i did not like them...take them all out and back go the spikes.

We ended up doing one speaker at a time...since Stillpoints makes adaptors for nearly every screw hole...we used the ones for Wilson speakers and got to within a few millimeters on the same height as my original spike sets. First speaker...Left v Right...well, i had already decided there was no going back. The bass in the right was thick (as i have always known it was)...and the left was delineated and tight...an improvement of perhaps 30%. Further the left soundstage was back about another 3 feet relative to the Right speaker.

They then handed me an LP Isolator...normally for Turntables...but in my case to put on top of my Zanden Transport. Now bear in mind, the Zanden Transport is designed with alternating layers of 1" acrylic and 1" aluminum...4-5 layers. I then added HRS Nimbus couplers AND and HRS M3 isolation platform...all on top of a 400lb specially designed equipment rack which is further isolated on top of 1" of slate. Damn, if the bass did not tighten up again...about 10%-15%.

Interestingly...after setting up the Right speaker...and also putting 3 more under my Velodyne DD18 sub...i now hear a totally different MIDRANGE presentation...not in any way changed in terms of tonality or 'character'...but whereas before on deep house electronic music...things that sounded like sliding sheet metal...actually is more like a heavy zipper close-miked...you hear each individual bit of metal as something is slid across it. Violins have roisin and texture in ways they did not before.

I also use one Track as a reference which i have heard in the most detailed system ever...Audio Exotics in Hong Kong...and i am amazed at how far my system has come. In terms of instrumental separation and detail, i am now there...the soundstage is not as deep...but my room is also much smaller. Cool

Going next door...i dont hear 'long whumps' even on deep bass of house music...i can hear individual beats. Muting my Gryphon Colosseum amp...with just the DD18 playing...you hear detail even in very very deep bass *and my cut off is 39hz), you can hear instant stacaccto hits which normally sound like big bumps. Very cool.

Conclusion? In my room...and in that of a number of other large speaker and Wilson speaker owners i have spoken with...Stillpoints Ultra Vs are incredible. I am keeping them.

Very tempted to give these a whirl with the MM3s. Until I checked the price. Over $5K for 8..... ouch!!!

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Doing it with style! I have been looking at the Stillpoints Ultra 5's myself to place under the threaded spikes of my speakers. I had called the Canadian distributor and then Stillpoints (USA) after not getting a response for my own audition and have yet no response. After three weeks of pondering I felt I should drill holes through my laminated floor so the speaker's spikes would come in direct contact with the concrete floor underneath. I had done the same for my Symposium rack with positive results. Two days ago at a Wilson Audio Alexia demonstration Peter McGrath pointed out that the Alexia's had their spikes going through the carpet into the concrete floor at the audio store.
Lloyd are the Ultra's on a floor or hardwood?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Doing it with style! I have been looking at the Stillpoints Ultra 5's myself to place under the threaded spikes of my speakers. I had called the Canadian distributor and then Stillpoints (USA) after not getting a response for my own audition and have yet no response. After three weeks of pondering I felt I should drill holes through my laminated floor so the speaker's spikes would come in direct contact with the concrete floor underneath. I had done the same for my Symposium rack with positive results. Two days ago at a Wilson Audio Alexia demonstration Peter McGrath pointed out that the Alexia's had their spikes going through the carpet into the concrete floor at the audio store.
Lloyd are the Ultra's on a floor or hardwood?

The Ultra 5s are on a wooden floor over concrete. I asked the distributor, and he said in his experience when set up well...they work the same on concrete, wood, or thick carpet. That last one was a surprise to me...but that is what he said.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good to hear , as predicted may I add ;) .... How many did you end up with , did you get the bases as well ?

8 + an LPI isolator...and 3 under the DD18---which i am still auditoning. The bass is tighter for sure...but for some reason the Auralex Subwoofer Platform allowed the bass to travel further thru the room...which means the deep bass impact was audible in many more locations which i think i prefer. Plus these things aint cheap...i think i may give the 3 back which are under the Velodyne.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
how can you use them on carpeted floors ? I guess you can't, so spikes are it for me through the rug/pad into concrete. I will be trying their record weight and maybe try the ultra 5's under my turntable., phono stage, main pre. These things are expensive though...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Lloyd,
Do you know what is the official opinion of Wilson Audio on the use of these Stillpoints Ultra Vs in their speakers?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,
Do you know what is the official opinion of Wilson Audio on the use of these Stillpoints Ultra Vs in their speakers?

Yes...I have spoken with both Wilson and the Wilson Distributor here. Wilson said they had mixed results using Stillpoints and other isolators, and specifically felt their spikes which have not changed in 20 years or so were ideal. The Distributor felt that it depended on the flooring. I then spoke with a dealer here who does not sell them...but who does sell Wilson and they felt it would be an improvement without question. I discussed Stillpoints and Magico QPods, and the Wilson Distributor felt both were excellent...but again said it depended on flooring.

I can say that having been in this room for over 8 years...playing the same tracks, i know tighter, better bass and more delineated mids when i hear it. These are staying under the X1s. The question is whether i want to go for the 3 under the Velodyne.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
how can you use them on carpeted floors ? I guess you can't, so spikes are it for me through the rug/pad into concrete. I will be trying their record weight and maybe try the ultra 5's under my turntable., phono stage, main pre. These things are expensive though...

I think Turntable uses them on his carpeted floor under his Maxx 3s, and has decided after an audition to keep them. Tighter bass, much better mids/delineation...sounds like a very similar result to mine.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

I used them (Ultra SS) under my verity audio parsifal encores on a carpeted concrete floor. Worked beautifully.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yes...I have spoken with both Wilson and the Wilson Distributor here. Wilson said they had mixed results using Stillpoints and other isolators, and specifically felt their spikes which have not changed in 20 years or so were ideal. The Distributor felt that it depended on the flooring. I then spoke with a dealer here who does not sell them...but who does sell Wilson and they felt it would be an improvement without question. I discussed Stillpoints and Magico QPods, and the Wilson Distributor felt both were excellent...but again said it depended on flooring.

I can say that having been in this room for over 8 years...playing the same tracks, i know tighter, better bass and more delineated mids when i hear it. These are staying under the X1s. The question is whether i want to go for the 3 under the Velodyne.

Wow...and congrats !!! Good Isolation is really like great power cords...just crucial in high end set ups !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I could now see that Stillpoints use ceramic spheres as a coupler in their supports - it seems similar to the Finite Element Cerapuc I use in my rack. I remember I have read somewhere that Mike Lavigne also uses some kind footers using spheres.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I think Turntable uses them on his carpeted floor under his Maxx 3s, and has decided after an audition to keep them. Tighter bass, much better mids/delineation...sounds like a very similar result to mine.

Correct, I have had the Ultra SS's (V very expensive:D) under my Maxx3's and on thick carpet for a few months and they sound a LOT better than the spikes.
Similar to Lloyd, most of the improvement imo is in the bass nuances which leads to less smearing in these frquencies - this in turn brings out better details in the mid's and upper frequencies without changing the character of the sound.

It is important for the full performance for the Stillpoints not to touch the speaker, in my case that includes the Wilson diode - I did not feel comfortable screwing directly into the bottom of the speaker, as removing the thread may have been difficult. The Ultra SS's a not as high by themselves, however with diode and Ultra SS is very close to Diode and spike in height.

Couple of pics to illustrate. Lloyd, where are your photo's ;)?

8265780761_617388902b_c.jpg 8266850646_43fec87ef4_c.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I could now see that Stillpoints use ceramic spheres as a coupler in their supports - it seems similar to the Finite Element Cerapuc I use in my rack. I remember I have read somewhere that Mike Lavigne also uses some kind footers using spheres.

Exactly...they have ceramic spheres inside in between top and bottom layer of the Ultra.

I think Mike used Combatix 9-series at one point and then tried N2S from Jonathan Tinn as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Correct, I have had the Ultra SS's (V very expensive:D) under my Maxx3's and on thick carpet for a few months and they sound a LOT better than the spikes.
Similar to Lloyd, most of the improvement imo is in the bass nuances which leads to less smearing in these frquencies - this in turn brings out better details in the mid's and upper frequencies without changing the character of the sound.

It is important for the full performance for the Stillpoints not to touch the speaker, in my case that includes the Wilson diode - I did not feel comfortable screwing directly into the bottom of the speaker, as removing the thread may have been difficult. The Ultra SS's a not as high by themselves, however with diode and Ultra SS is very close to Diode and spike in height.

Couple of pics to illustrate. Lloyd, where are your photo's ;)?

View attachment 9098 View attachment 9099

Nice going Turntable!!! I am crap at photos and then bringing them into computer and then attaching...let me try in the am. i admit these feet do look kinda cool underneath.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The distance between underside of the X1s and the floor is exactly 2.5 inches. With the Ultra 5s, we ended up at 2.25 inches in order to ensure enough screw was inside the speaker for security/strength. The Wilson distributor is coming over in a couple weeks anyway, so any tweaks can be made then if he thinks the angles might be readjusted.
X1 - Stillpoints Ultra 5.jpg

They look like they were designed to go with the speaker, so kinda cool.

Wilson - Stillpoints Ultra 5s.jpg

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Lloyd,

Looks kool. that is a large gap between the bottom of the speaker and the stillpoint. I saw the V's last week and they are a lot bigger than the SS's.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd,

Looks kool. that is a large gap between the bottom of the speaker and the stillpoint. I saw the V's last week and they are a lot bigger than the SS's.

Yes, you're right. Originally, they had almost no gap...like yours. And then we were about 0.6-0.7 inches lower...so they added the gap to get within 0.25 inches of the original height.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Yes, you're right. Originally, they had almost no gap...like yours. And then we were about 0.6-0.7 inches lower...so they added the gap to get within 0.25 inches of the original height.

You could add the Ultra base :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing