What are you all using for tape stage?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I actually had my switch built last year and it's fully functional.

I did have the good pleasure of having Nick Doshi over to my house yesterday to evaluate my Studer and he says it is good to go. My unit hopefully shows up mid June. Nick BTW provided me some excellent suggestions yesterday in dealing with a room issue so this is my homework for today as he was the first person other than my family to hear my new room.

...and how are you liking it Steve?, considering your previous benchmark at your last room setup?

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I have a Technics 1500 with both on board and outboard capability. The internal amps are modern upgrades and I have a King Cello amp which sounds great to my ears. I will have access to a Doshi unit shortly pending delivery.

We plan to do a good listening test in a good room with great equipment. Let the fun begin!

Bruce in PA

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have a Technics 1500 with both on board and outboard capability. The internal amps are modern upgrades and I have a King Cello amp which sounds great to my ears. I will have access to a Doshi unit shortly pending delivery.

We plan to do a good listening test in a good room with great equipment. Let the fun begin!

Bruce in PA

Heck Bruce, you better not get yours before I get mine ;)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Not sure if the DaHavilland preamp has been mentioned, but it sounds good as well.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Charlie, as per my request, had recently changed out the Mundorf for the Dueland VSF Black caps in my King-Cello unit. The Dueland caps as per Frederik and Alan's instructions were broken in for a week straight on The Cable Cooker before Charlie installed them into my tape preamp. Initially, I wasn't blown away by the change and thought more lateral than vertical.

That was until a week ago. I was listening to a very familiar tape and was suddenly startled by amount of air being being moved in the low end along with far greater sense of space. A few more tapes, such as the new Patricia Barber, etc. and it was obvious that something special was going on. Then I remembered that even after breaking in with the Cable Cooker, cables take about 24 hours of playing to settle-in [not even counting for the soldering to break-in]--and the same seems to hold true with capacitors too. The end result is that Charlie's unit equipped with the Dueland caps is far better than I even thought!

gamve

Feb 9, 2013
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Hi Myles,
The dueland caps really come into their own once they have 2-300 hours on them. If your there already you already know, if not there is more in store for you.
Cheers
Graham

Charlie, as per my request, had recently changed out the Mundorf for the Dueland VSF Black caps in my King-Cello unit. The Dueland caps as per Frederik and Alan's instructions were broken in for a week straight on The Cable Cooker before Charlie installed them into my tape preamp. Initially, I wasn't blown away by the change and thought more lateral than vertical.

That was until a week ago. I was listening to a very familiar tape and was suddenly startled by amount of air being being moved in the low end along with far greater sense of space. A few more tapes, such as the new Patricia Barber, etc. and it was obvious that something special was going on. Then I remembered that even after breaking in with the Cable Cooker, cables take about 24 hours of playing to settle-in [not even counting for the soldering to break-in]--and the same seems to hold true with capacitors too. The end result is that Charlie's unit equipped with the Dueland caps is far better than I even thought!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Myles,
The dueland caps really come into their own once they have 2-300 hours on them. If your there already you already know, if not there is more in store for you.
Cheers
Graham

Thanks Graham! So it appears :)

Frederik had indicated around 150 hours but I was skeptical :) They had 168 hrs on The Cable Cooker when installed. Probably now up to a little over 200 hrs.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Dammit! I ordered mine with Mundorf caps following your decision on having them in your KC!!! :)

Jazzbo

Aug 20, 2012
Atlanta, Georgia Area
Just thought I would make an addition here and mention I am using the Amina HD-4 tube tape head pre amp. This inexpensive, but great sounding pre amp comes with a separate power supply. This pre amp gets better every time I turn it on. I am sure improvements can be made once I decide to do some tube rolling and substituting better capacitors. There seems to be 2 caps in the signal chain. While the unit sounds good already, I am sure it can sound better with some changes. i am just enjoying it in it's present state. I am loving what I am hearing so far. Thanks for all the assistance I've got from the great team/forum members here. I am pleased to be a part of this great organization. :D

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
I am using the BH Tube Repro on my Otari and the Dehavilland 222 on my Studer. Premium tubes in both and I am loving what I hear from both!!! One more thing of importance I am using a special Mogami cable for the wiring to the tape pre's that has excellent shielding to just kill any noise that could be picked up!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing