What are you all using for tape stage?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have an offer to purchase a deck for a good price, but would need a tape stage. At the moment I can't afford to purchase a Doshi, so wondering what most of you are using...?

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I use the King/Cello. The right amount of gain, and oh so neutral. Charles King is not only a genius, but a great guy as well.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
is the deck set up for external pre ? What is it if you don't mind sharing ? I have a King/Cello for my Technics 1500 (nortronics repro head) and Otari MTR-10, both with heads wired out to the KC. Excellent sound.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
is the deck set up for external pre ? What is it if you don't mind sharing ? I have a King/Cello for my Technics 1500 (nortronics repro head) and Otari MTR-10, both with heads wired out to the KC. Excellent sound.

Yes, it's been required for an external pre and its a Technics (although I don't know the model number).

How much is the King/Cello, Christian?

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I went all out. My Doshi is on order with a scheduled mid June delivery. Move over Bruce ;)

Well sure that's a decision you won't regret and something I hope to do one day.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have an offer to purchase a deck for a good price, but would need a tape stage. At the moment I can't afford to purchase a Doshi, so wondering what most of you are using...?

I used Bottlehead and King Cello preamps, a modified EROS from BH is a good option for the price.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I recently purchased professional studermachines and thinking they have not become " famous for nothing " i have them merely updated/ modified but i use the same amp stages as in the early days , meaning the originals .
I suspect (and had a glimpse of that already )is that the main advantage of tape sound is from the magnetic tape technique itself .
But i have to say i am still a tape novice , called the tech on friday i hope they ll be ready in a couple of weeks

I challenge hereby Boulder and zanden also to design one cause i like their amps a lot :D

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i have owned a Technics with EAR deParavicini mods, and use the King Cello with special 'zeel' 50 ohm BNC interface for my twin Studer A-820's. i've tried a few other tape output electronics and not been that impressed compared to my King Cello in my room to my ears.

the sound of a stock A-820 (or my stock ATR-102) does not measure up to how the A-820 sounds with the King Cello. i've not directly compared an A-80 to my A-820/King Cello but my sense is that i prefer the KC-A820 to the stock A-80.

i feel no motivation to pursue anything beyond what i have now......but if the opportunity presents itself i would try the new King Cello or the Doshi.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike

have you compared the KC vs Nick's unit

no. i heard Nick's unit at RMAF and liked it; but it did not 'knock my socks off' based on what i heard there.....nothing like what i hear from the KC-A820 in my set-up. the problem with trying to relate what Nick's unit was contributing to the overall performance there is that you have a Technics deck, then varible tapes, and a show system. i know Bruce is impressed with what he is hearing from Nick's unit in his room. there are differences between the unit Nick was showing at RMAF and what Bruce has.

bottom line for me is that i'm currently very happy and everything works and sounds great; so it will take someone bringing one of these units to me to directly compare before i'm going to even worry about it.

i do think that it's great that Nick and Charles King are pushing the envelope to higher performance for all us tape-heads.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
bottom line for me is that i'm currently very happy and everything works and sounds great; so it will take someone bringing one of these units to me to directly compare before i'm going to even worry about it.

Mike,

You are really a true audiophile - at this state most people would not allow any one to bring any new unit to theirs room! :)

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Stock Studer A-820 electronics with 1/2" and 1/4" stacks.
A friend in pro audio might design something...if so, I'll give it a whirl.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Congrats Steve!

I thought your Studer was a stand-alone deck, glad you can take signal directly from playback heads.

I actually had my switch built last year and it's fully functional.

I did have the good pleasure of having Nick Doshi over to my house yesterday to evaluate my Studer and he says it is good to go. My unit hopefully shows up mid June. Nick BTW provided me some excellent suggestions yesterday in dealing with a room issue so this is my homework for today as he was the first person other than my family to hear my new room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing