How Much Stuff Have You Destroyed in Your Audiophile Career?

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Never broke my own stuff. Broke one of Dad's cartridges which resulted in my - okay "our" own turntable as a kid (I had to share with Gary).

Bent one of Gary's cartridges which resulted in getting banned from using his turntable. At what his cartridges cost these days, I do not touch anything that doesn't have that nice little lever to lower the tone arm. :D I yell for him.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Well, Don, I can't even compete with your experiences. Sure, I have done things that have required repair, but I'd say a few thousand would cover it.

Not sure I like the direction this is going... :D

You have had quite a line of projects. I have done my share of antenna tower projects, but never a 70 footer. You must have quite an array of heavy equipment. The biggest tower I ever did was a 30 foot Rhone on my first house. One of the helpers was my brother in law, who we later discovered was a bit of a wimp when it came to hard work. He kept whining during the erection that somebody could die doing this, especially when I climbed the tower to add more guy wires. When we were done, I told him we would excuse him from the project next time. Based on your ride down the falling tower, I'd say he was right about possibly dying, but we weren't going even half as tall as you were.

"Specialization is for insects." - Heinlein

Rohn towers, that's most often what we put up. The vast majority were in the 70' to 130' range, with a few on up to 170' (20' sections plus the topper was always 10'). The equipment was usually me, my boss, belts, and a rope. Yes, there were some scary moments, but nothing like riding one down. (That was old old water-pipe tower; I hated those things but we made lots of money replacing them with Rohn). Highest I ever worked on was 2000', then when the FAA complained we had to take it down to 1700'. It's actually easier up higher as you lose any sense of connection with the ground.

We had to watch the weather; tower jobs were usually early-morning to avoid wind. Come to think of it, the scariest install might not of been the ride down. We took three jobs one day, probably before some major sports event, and the last went into the evening. We were nearly done, putting on the topper and hauling up the rotor and antenna, while a storm was moving in. We could see it and it looked to be a good half-hour away, when a lightning strike from the leading edge (still several miles off) caused all hair on both of us to rise. We gave each other a dinner-plate-eyes look and shimmed down the tower so fast I swear we left smoke streams.

Back to audio: I suppose nobody else has ever misread the tiny little chart with a new power transformer containing infinitesimally small print with the wiring colors and switched filament and B+ leads. Everyone should do that once just to cement the ideas of (a) testing the voltages before wiring it in and (b) pulling all the tubes before initially powering up.

“Experience comes from making lots of mistakes. Wisdom is learning from them. So far, I’ve lots of experience.” – me!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I haven't sent it in to them yet as it happened just last night. But, Peter Lederman at Soundsmith has a ruby cantilever replacement for high end carts that is really great. I know of two of my type carts (Bluelectric Magic Diamond) that were rebuilt by Peter and the owner says they are better than when new.

http://www.sound-smith.com

I have two Magic Diamonds and one Virus, and Peter's re-tip does sound better than the original.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Last thing we blew up was a pair of Burmester 909 amplifiers. Robb and I were in Winston's house setting up. After we were scratching our heads for a while wondering why there was no sound from the speakers, Winston said "Oops.... I forgot to tell you that those outlets are 240V". Hopefully they aren't destroyed, but they have to be sent to Germany to have the power supplies re-built.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Fedex dropped subwoofer once. Full refund. Then they destoyed a (very poorly packed) center channel, full refund as well. No questions asked.

Unbelievable. Fed Ex never pays for any shipping damage without a fight. Neither does UPS, even if they pack it. Are you sure the Fed Ex guy wasn't having sex with a close relative of yours? :p

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Unbelievable. Fed Ex never pays for any shipping damage without a fight. Neither does UPS, even if they pack it. Are you sure the Fed Ex guy wasn't having sex with a close relative of yours? :p

I was stunned. The recipient send them a picture and I got refunded for the estimated damage (80% of declared value) without any questions asked nor on site inspection. I then refunded the recipient the estimated repair cost, (he probably got the repair done for less). No bribe money or other from of incentive was involved.

Even better, the speaker was packed like crap (by me), and a disaster waiting to happen. The local office very reluctantly accepted it. I was half expecting it to be destoyed in transit and having to take the hit myself (it was just a $1200 speaker [used, $3000 new] and I had no better packaging, so I took a calculated risk).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I was stunned. The recipient send them a picture and I got refunded for the estimated damage (80% of declared value) without any questions asked nor on site inspection. I then refunded the recipient the estimated repair cost, (he probably got the repair done for less). No bribe money or other from of incentive was involved.

Even better, the speaker was packed like crap (by me), and a disaster waiting to happen. The local office very reluctantly accepted it. I was half expecting it to be destoyed in transit and having to take the hit myself (it was just a $1200 speaker [used, $3000 new] and I had no better packaging, so I took a calculated risk).

I appreciate your honesty when you admitted that you packed the speaker "like crap."

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
FedEx and UPS have been very good with claims. I think that it was UPS that dropped one of a pair of speakers upside-down. Resulted in a dented top corner. Since the speakers are in matched pairs, they paid for the pair. We gave it to the local audio society - which is why the PNWAS club speakers have a dented top corner.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
How about all of the guys who claimed the maid destroyed their cantilever while dusting??

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
People that place 120v and 240v receptacles side by side are asking for trouble!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
How about all of the guys who claimed the maid destroyed their cantilever while dusting??

This comment just shows that you never owned an Oracle in a non dedicated listening room that was simultaneously the family room or your maid was not a compulsive cleaner that loved shining acrylic. Unhappily I only got smart at the second broken cantilever as it was twisted towards the back. And yes, she never opened the lid to clean it - it was not needed ...

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
I have two Magic Diamonds and one Virus, and Peter's re-tip does sound better than the original.

Your comments mirror Lloyd Walker's exactly. It may be worth the 4-5 months for the re-tip. Meanwhile, I am fortunate enough to have a couple of different backup carts to see me through: Allnic Puritas and an Allnic Verito Z. Did you have Peter do all 3?

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com

I only have my own ham-handed too late at night self to blame. I was already doing the "just one more side before sleep" conversation with myself. Normally, I try not to listen to that little voice as it always gets me into trouble...

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Your comments mirror Lloyd Walker's exactly. It may be worth the 4-5 months for the re-tip. Meanwhile, I am fortunate enough to have a couple of different backup carts to see me through: Allnic Puritas and an Allnic Verito Z. Did you have Peter do all 3?

Yes - Peter did all 3, and I also have his Soundsmith Gold.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've burned exactly 4 voice coils and broken one cantilever. Fortunately none of these were very expensive. I did these very early on and they've taught me to be very careful. Knock on wood.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
There have been a few "accidents."

The one that still irks me wasn't very expensive, just incredibly stupid. I have a vintage PU from the 60s. Finally found a mint vintage tonearm for it in the Philippines, after searching everywhere. Ordered new stylus from a guy in Germany who builds these. Paid for a special Shibata grind and waited two months for him to get the work done. Turntable mute but good looking while I wait.
Stylus arrives. It's been carefully packaged and I extract it, mount it in the cartridge body as if I am doing surgery on my own child, carefully attach it to the tonearm.

Ah, about to hear music at last, but first check the weight. I place the scale on the platter and release the tonearm from its rest.
The tonearm handle slips away from my fingers - the cartridge bumps softly against the level indicator on the TD124, and I guess the cantilever takes the hit to protect the cartridge. Afterwards it looked funny pointing straight out to the side. Afterwards.

Another two month wait.

Last edited:

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China
Naw nothing depressing about blowing stuff up - you must have brought your own depression to the thread. My contribution is at least a tube length of TO220 MOSFETs when I was developing my MOSFET output stage amplifier - the smell of the smoke FETs let out is still ingrained in my memory even now, almost 30 years later...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing