Your most embarrassing audio moments

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As the great line in the movie Forrest Gump goes, “I don't remember being born. I, I don't recall what I got for my first Christmas and I don't know when I went on my first outdoor picnic. But, I do remember…” my most embarrassing and sobering audio moments! :) They have been the source for much learning for me so I thought I share them with you and see if others can do likewise.

Episode #1, Circa 1980: I am working in a “HiFi” shop, fixing audio equipment. I go to the showroom one day and see this great new solid state amp. No ICs for the output stage. Three massive power supplies, making the amp three times heavier and beefier than anything around. Wonderful specs. You name it. I listen and love the power and performance. To my pleasant surprise, I find otu that employee pricing is quite reasonable so I go ahead and buy one.

At the time I was going to college and living with my brother. My brother is also an engineer but is about 10 years older than me so he grew up with tubes (I started life with transistors). He looks at my amp and says tubes would sound better (btw he is NOT an audiophile). I say no way and go about my business.

A few days later my brother comes to my room and asks me to come to the living room to see something (where I had put my amp and speakers). There it sat, a little tube amp he had designed. I am thinking this is going to be easy. It has maybe 1/10th of the parts my amp has! I figured I can easily clean his clocks.

So we play something with my amp first, then switch over to his. I have to say, I could not believe my ears. The musicality was in another planet. Mid-range was so smooth and pleasant compared the sterile feel of my solid state amp. Lost for words, I got lucky and asked him to turn up the volume where the tube amp fell apart and could not reproduce the bass. We switched back and my amp at the same volume blew his tube amp away on bass. In front of him, I declared myself a winner but inside, I knew something didn’t make sense there. Here was technology multiple decades later but couldn't match the musicality of its older brother.

As an aside, the above was the experience I remembered when I visited Steve’s room recently and listened to his Lam tub amps. Same fluidity and mid-range ease. And of course, he cheats with his sub, taking care of the above issue I had with my brother’s tube amp :).

Episode #2: Circa 1983-1984: I am out of school, CD format is out, and I have my own $500 unit (second gen products after Sony’s). The engineer in me thinks digital is perfect. I throw out my cheap turntable and start loving the convenience and authority of CD, blowing away my speakers with Telarc 1812 overture canons.

My close friend who had gotten the “high-end audiophile” bug comes over one day. He tells me my CD player sucks both compared to his Meridian CD player but more importantly, the LP. I tell him he is nuts especially after he told me he had spent $500 for his interconnects alone! He proceeds to invite me to a challenge at the local high-end audio shop.

We go there and he explains to the sales guy that I am an engineer and that I believe there is no way LP can match the CD because the latter is perfect. He smiles politely and suggests an experiment to A/B CD against the same title on LP. And to make the job of the LP harder, he was going to select the most inner track. I sit back comfortably, ready to declare victory.

Boy was I unprepared for the slap in the face. The LP as with the tube experience above, was so much more music than the CD. I mean it was not close at all. Note that he used the Meridian CD player my friend had bought which was their first gen unit (the modified Philips top-loader). This was the first time I had evidence that high-end audiophiles were not entirely crazy :D.

Episode #3: Fall 2000: We had just acquired Pacific Microsonics, the creator of HDCDs. Reason for acquisition was their 20-bit encoding in audio CDs and their speaker correction logic. During the due diligence process, I got content from them with or without the 20-bit embedding and could clearly hear the difference. Fast forward a few weeks later and the team is on board and working down the hall from me.

I happen to be chatting with one of their engineers and he throws this line at me: “you know that some of us didn’t believe in this 20-bit stuff. Right?” Shocked, I asked what he meant. He said well, most of us can’t the difference at all. I told him they must be deaf because I hear it clear as a bell at which point, he hands me his headphone and says, “let’s do a test.” I turn around and he starts playing the same sample files as above.

I am thinking, this is easy, I can clearly hear the difference. I ask him to switch back and forth multiple times and I was able to firmly solidify my choice of which one was the 20-bit HDCD version and which one was straight 16-bit.

I turn around and tell him which one was which and why. At which point he hits me in the face with a 2x4 by saying he was playing the exact same file every time! I asked him to conduct the experiment again while I had my back turned, and now the two sounded the same. There was no face saving here. You swallow your pride and accept defeat.

Episode #4: Circa 2001-2002: I am by then a certified Golden Ear in all of Microsoft. After a few years of training, I could hear an artifact from a mile away. No one could match me at that job including our trained listening panel. So the audio codec team would routinely ask my opinion of changes to our audio codecs (WMA family) before release.

I was home sick once so I offered to test out a new revision of the encoder. My team sent me the before and after the change versions of the encoding. I was surprised that they would run this variation past me as it was clear as a bell that there were regressions and the new version was far lower quality. There was more harshness, more pre-echo, etc.

Not being well, I lash out at the engineering manager that they had gone backward in a big way. He responded with surprise that this could not be and that the change was very minor and could not account for such a big difference. I told him that was not the case and the degradation was considerable.

He proceeds to send me email with another set to test. I again complain that the new set is far worse with similar kind of regressions. He answers back with … the files were identical to the reference! I reply back that it can’t possibly be as the difference was very clear and not subtle at all. He insists that the files are identical. I pop up a command-line prompt and use the diff program to compare the files against reference. And wouldn’t you know it the computer said the files were identical down to the last bit!

I go back and listen again, now they sound identical yet again!

I better stop here before I lose more of you all’s respect :). But let me net out that that I find a lot of truth in what forum members say on either side of the fence. No question that listener bias can get one in trouble in a big, big way. Even as a skilled tester with no dog in the hunt, I could fall victim to it. At the same time, there are experiences that I cannot, as an engineer schooled in the science, explain such as superiority of tube amps. So there I sit, with scars on my back, that this hobby (and job) has aspects to it that defy fully understanding at least by me.

Yes, the experiences are old. Same comparisons may have different outcomes now. But the human nature is as valid as it has been over the last three decades described above. Better not be overconfident that you know everything there is no to know here...

I welcome your comments and experiences.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
On topic but sort of off theme here Amir, but this one goes on my list as an embarrassing audio moments.

In our country I am regarded as one of a handful of the best system set up guys. One evening I was with two of the others at my place, two I regard as better than myself. We were just hanging out having a good time when we decided to try and tube roll my Lamm M2.2 Hybrid amplifiers. Lamms come with english hex' and we are from a metric country. Still we found one that sort of fit so we carefully took off the the top plate of the right monoblock and change the stock russkie for some UK exotica. On to the left amp and one of my buddies dropped the one and only "sort of fits" allen wrench inside the amplifier!

The next hour was spent playing McGuyver. The wrench was eventually recovered with my daughter's floppy plastic ruler, double sided tape and a kabob skewer ;) ;) ;)

Afterwards we were laughing hysterically. If that had gone on youtube, all our reputations would've been toast!!!!!

Today, we all own full sets of english measurement hex bits AND 7/16 spares :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good one Jack. Reminds me of my older brother asking me to help him with his car repair. I go there and he hands me a piece of paper where he had written the timing sequence of the engine before taking it apart. Right as he says "don't lose it," I drop the paper between the two radiators (engine and A/C)! Needless to say, we spent 2-3 hours in hot Florida sun, trying to find a tool to extract it.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Amir: I have had many similar situations and why I will not ciaim to be a member of either side of the measurement/subjective crowd.

The one experience I do remember was digitizing vynl on the fly (not recording to any media)and A/Bing (blind) to prove that digital was really not very good. Over a long time, neither I nor the other individual could get better than 50% correct. I learned (a) that maybe the process of digitizing and going to media screwed up digital or (b) there was really something different in analog we don't understand or (c) I (and my friend) both have crappy hearing or (d) digital may be better than I thought.

But that said, I still prefer good vinyl or good digital and I can't explain why!

I'm in Amir's camp on this issue --- now everyone take a deep breath ---- PLEASE.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
In the mid 80's I got back into audio and bought a 2nd generation seedee player. I was thrilled...So easy to use, no...blah, blah, blah. I was boasting about my early adoption to a boss two levels up and he was curious on how it compared with his Linn Sondek. I took it over to his place and we hooked it in to his system. We had some recordings from Reference Recording on both seedee and LP. One I remember was RR's Church Window by Respighi. We fired it up and synched and leveled sources so we could A/B back and forth. I was immediately and thoroughly embarrassed. Then we played some Placido Domingo who sounded like one of the munchkins at which point we all found our sense of humor and spent the rest of the session laughing at the sounds my seedee player produced.

Still, I was very humbled. It was early in my career and I no longer had time to attend live performances and really was not that focused on music. I had bought early and hard into seedees and, despite my classical training and experience, had not noticed its absurdity (in these early incarnations) until confronted with a direct comparison to vinyl.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Amir-I admire your brutal honesty. The take aways are very interesting: A small tube amp designed and built by your brother smoked the sound of your new SS "killer" amp except when turned up loud enough that the small tube was probably clipping. Second, you were convinced that your new state of the art CD player would smoke an LP rig and you found out you were very wrong. What I find interesting here is that the science and measurements crowd would say it can't be so and that you couldn't have been hearing what you thought you heard. Your last sentence was right on target when you said you better not be confident that you know everything there is to know.

What I would like to know is there anyone who has had the reverse happen to them? Has anyone proudly compared their tube amp to a SS amp and had their butt whooped? Has anyone compared their LP playback system to a CD and was embarrassed at the outcome? That would be interesting to know.

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
I don't know of any that really matter. There are always the cases where the tube amp is run outside of its design range and starts sounding nasty, though they typically don't do as bad in that regard as SS run beyond where it wants to go. With LP vs CD it always seems that most lock in on the background noise and ignore the thing LP may be doing better at. Which is sort of a seque into a comparison story that I found a bit embarrasing.

An engineer type friend wanted to bring his new CD player over to compare to mine. This is the early days of CD though I don't recall if it was gen 1 or 2. I had a Nacamichi OMS-5 which I'd gotten after many auditions of a rather long list of candidates. Finding a player who's sins were more of omission than anything was a bit of a challenge at that time. He'd simply bought an Adcom piece out of the Stereophile recommended components in the price range he could afford. I don't recall what the music was but there was one place in which the Adcom placed a note far right of the speakers. It didn't match in with the rest of the sound stage, instrument placing, anything. Just one note out of the blue. He locked in on that and went away happy that he'd gotten the better player at half the price. Still embarrased that I failed completely at showing the other obvious differences between the two. Not that the Adcom was a bad unit for the time, but it was a bit bright, a bit harsh sounding and tended to lose much of the hall ambience of the recording. Of course the OMS-5 was hardly a world beater by todays standards or against LP.

Then there are the times when making changes and forgeting to plug a cable in and so on. Best just to laugh and go on. This is an entertainment hobby after all.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Kind of an Audio/Video moment for me actually. I have a small Home Theater setup in the family room that also feeds a set of speakers out on the deck. Awesome for those wonderfull evenings when we sit outside and listen to the music library through a Sonos setup that I have throughout the house. Unfortunately one night while we were watching a movie I'd forgotten to look at which speakers were on. Went through an entire movie (something like "Pulp Fiction" or "Kill Bill" I believe), with loads of gratuitous violence and profanity, only to discover as I ventured outside during the credits that the entire thing had been broadcast through the neighborhood! Luckily we get along well with everyone, but I took a few jabs over that one.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Just thought of another (great introduction to the group this). One evening, after a hard week at the office and a few well earned double burbons, I decided to listen to something on the turntable. I believe it was a fresh pressing of one of the Acoustic Sounds Blue Note 45 remasters. Qeued everything up and dropped the needle down only to watch the arm immediately skate across the surface of my new pristine, virgin vinyl!!! Only then did I realize that I'd neglected to remove the stylus protector on my Grado Reference cartridge. I nearly soiled my linen to say the least. I sheepishly removed the protector and nervously dropped stylus to slab and miraculously there was no ill effect. Dodged a bullet on that one for sure.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Kind of an Audio/Video moment for me actually. I have a small Home Theater setup in the family room that also feeds a set of speakers out on the deck. Awesome for those wonderfull evenings when we sit outside and listen to the music library through a Sonos setup that I have throughout the house. Unfortunately one night while we were watching a movie I'd forgotten to look at which speakers were on. Went through an entire movie (something like "Pulp Fiction" or "Kill Bill" I believe), with loads of gratuitous violence and profanity, only to discover as I ventured outside during the credits that the entire thing had been broadcast through the neighborhood! Luckily we get along well with everyone, but I took a few jabs over that one.
Great story. I have a related one and a lesson learned.

I used to teach computer classes at UC Santa Cruz. The classes were intensive two, 8-hour sessions. So one afternoon we take a break and I go to use the urinal. I come back and half the students are in the class and are chuckling left and right. it took me all of 2 seconds to realize the wireless microphone I was wearing was on the whole time!

Lesson learned: I am building our new house and planned to put speakers on the patio to listen to music as you say. Then realized that the living room was far away from it and I feared that I would leave the outside speakers on and create your exact scenario, except that the sound would travel on the water and disturb 100 people or more! So I nixed the idea. Reading your story makes me feel good about that decision :).

LesAuber

Jun 21, 2010
Computer science has a solution to this. Any good automation system can be set to automagically set inputs, outputs etc all with the push of one little button. Quite simple to have it set so that when you're playing a movie to set the outside speakers to off or only allow certain sources to play to them.

I don't know what to say about wireless mics though. Hilarious. I suppose that with an RFID tag it could automatically be turned off when leaving the classroom. But where's the fun in that?

muralman1

Jul 7, 2010
Sacramento Ca
My most embarrassing moment came when I was going to show an Apogee ribbon installer he was installing the wrong ribbons. I first played my system on my second pair of speakers fitted with foreign ribbons. Then, I was to switch my first pair of speakers so he could hear the obvious superiority. Sadly, I forgot to unplug the amp, and blew it up. That was an embarrassing and sad day.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Muralman-more sad than embarrasing. That was a true bummer.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Aren't metal parts supposed to invariably drop onto components carrying the highest voltage and current? My first real job out of graduate school was at American Science and Engineering, where almost everything had a 100 kV power supply in it, sometimes more.

Embarrassing moments in audio? Usually these come when attending really dreadful demos in high-end stores. The more important the people attending, the greater the probability that one of the sets of drivers will be wired out of phase. One has to clench one's teeth together, smile sweetly, and sit on one's hands.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
Some friends of mine had a cockatoo, and when they went to work, it would make a racket, but of course they couldn't hear it, being in their car and down the street before the bird started really belting out the blues. Apparently its screams could be hear over one mile away. They met a lot of new people in the neighborhood this way :) I wonder what kind of SPL they're capable of emitting?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
After 2 weeks of listening exclusively to a beautiful and well-reviewed tube headphone amp I had in on loan, and waxing poetic on email and discussion boards about how wonderful it sounded, for giggles and reference I A/B'd it (sighted) with the headphone jack of an old Harman Kardon integrated amp from the 70s. The differences were insignificant, and which one was "better" was definitely a matter of opinion. The dedicated head amp distinguished itself a bit, eventually, with very low ohm phones, but with my high-z Sennheisers (HD580s), not so much. Maybe that old HK is just that good?

P

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
I am thinking, this is easy, I can clearly hear the difference. I ask him to switch back and forth multiple times and I was able to firmly solidify my choice of which one was the 20-bit HDCD version and which one was straight 16-bit.

I turn around and tell him which one was which and why. At which point he hits me in the face with a 2x4 by saying he was playing the exact same file every time! I asked him to conduct the experiment again while I had my back turned, and now the two sounded the same. There was no face saving here. You swallow your pride and accept defeat.

When we're doing a test we search for differences and find them, even when they don't exist. I've found the only way to make a decision is long term relaxed listening. I enjoy being surprised by pulling software "blind" so I don't have preconceived notions about what I choose or what to expect musically.

Often the new source or piece of equipment will win the listening test. I think this is because we hear the difference and perceive the difference as an improvement. It takes a long time to weigh emotion, content and true quality before one can decide if the change is an improvement we can live with and enjoy over the long haul.

Albertporter

Apr 27, 2010
Dallas, TX
www.albertporterphoto.com
Albert

that is why when I listen to new gear I always ask myself "do I hear something better or merely something different."

Many of the things you ultimately decide upon are pretty much my own preferences.

A few that immediately come to mind are your Studer A810, software from The Tape Project, JL subs and absolutely the Lamm electronics which produce some of the most beautiful and fulfilling music of any equipment on the market.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing