Von Schweikert's Universe Loudspeaker, a designer's lifetime achievement

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I guess it depends on how you define 'mainstream' as for whether or not hi-rez truly has a future. I can't help but think it will remain a niche in an already niche market. Far more people are concerned about how many thousands of songs they can carry around with them on something tiny that fits into their pocket than they are concerned with SQ above what they are used to hearing from what they are carrying around in their pocket I'm afraid.

And if everyone sits on the fence like you are hoping that everyone else will jump in and make hi-rez 'mainstream' before they spend any of their time and money, hi-rez will not have much room to grow. In summary, it's all your fault that hi-rez hasn't already gone mainstream Lloyd. ;)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I still buy at Mixup (brick and mortar) outlets for CDs, but Amazon is a great place as well to source music from, my estimate is that it will take two to five years more to have multiple download sites (mostly HD) as a mature option. I am just fine spinning CDs with my modified-Oppo/Mytek DAC and/or via the Mach2/PureMusic setup. Now, where the VS loudspeaker thread went kaput? :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I guess it depends on how you define 'mainstream' as for whether or not hi-rez truly has a future. I can't help but think it will remain a niche in an already niche market. Far more people are concerned about how many thousands of songs they can carry around with them on something tiny that fits into their pocket than they are concerned with SQ above what they are used to hearing from what they are carrying around in their pocket I'm afraid.

And if everyone sits on the fence like you are hoping that everyone else will jump in and make hi-rez 'mainstream' before they spend any of their time and money, hi-rez will not have much room to grow. In summary, it's all your fault that hi-rez hasn't already gone mainstream Lloyd. ;)

Hah! guilty as charged!

ozarktom

Jun 23, 2013
Those remind me of the Duntech Sovereigns from the 80's. Those weighed only 375 pounds each and sold for $15000 for the pair.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It would have been nice to hear more music (and, not a female vocalist with a combo) to get an idea as to the sound....

Cheers,

When you go to shows, you get to hear lots of female vocalists with combos.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If you go to RMAF, you'll get to hear the Albert's speakers paired with Greg's Phase 12 tape deck. Ought a be a treat!

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Thanks Myles for getting us back on point. I am anxious to hear Albert's new speakers...woohoo!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks Myles for getting us back on point. I am anxious to hear Albert's new speakers...woohoo!

Albert's also going to be running an all Constellation system. Killer or not?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This speaker was four years in the making and Albert says it was my idea. Actually, it wasn't. All I was asking him to build was a reference speaker smaller than the 7'2" VR-11s with outboard subs to keep the main towers small, we were even sending sketches back and forth until his son Damon did a fine looking final 3-D CAD. The idea to go magnesium from tweeter to 15" sub drivers was all his albeit I did mention how Esoteric had done the same for their small speakers and did very well after he had said it. It was Robert I believe who pushed for the 7" MGs instead of the 9". To do so the basket, magnet and throw had to be changed y SEAS to approximate the output. One of the first three pairs was supposed to be mine 'cept through a turn of events a pair of 11 Mk2s came into the picture. See, I had been in a state of denial that my room could take 11s when in fact at the back of my mind, my room was designed for them. Even my AC was designed around their requirements.

The irony is that I haven't heard these speakers yet and I really want to.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing