What's Your Preference

What's Your Reading Preference

• Total voters

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like to read a lot about the views of politicians, so fiction for me.

ROFL!

Both for me. Here's a weird quirk. My fiction I read on paper, my non-fiction in e form. When in a book store I just can't tear myself away from the fiction aisles.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I must admit that I read mostly fiction but many members here seem to read mostly if not all books of nonfiction and historic interest. Take the poll and let us know.......

So this is a little unclear (to me); like you, I read mostly fiction, but certainly not exclusively. So I voted for fiction only?

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I love reading (science) fiction and fantasy, but have also consumed (arguably) more than my fair share of computer science text books, and other non-fiction books.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm a bit of a junky for reading on the lead-up, culmination and aftermath of the financial crisis, and commentary on the politics associated with it. The best books I have come across on the subject are:

Michael Lewis, The Big Short

Another gem is:

Michael Lewis, Boomerang

More general economic, but very good read is:

Nouriel Roubini, Crisis economics

The reason I am mentioning this is I just hit the jackpot and found this phenomenal book based on his NYT op-ed piece (started reading yesterday):

David Stockman: State-Wrecked: The Corruption of Capitalism in America

opus111

Banned
Feb 10, 2012
Hangzhou, China

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Steve Denning's dissection might interest you (I tend to agree with Denning in the main) : http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede...erica-the-failed-education-of-david-stockman/

Interesting. I just started reading it and so far I don't read into it all that Stockman views the government as corrupting the private sector. My take is Stockman sees it vice versa (i.e. the private sector corrupting politics), precisely as Denning. I'll reassess once I have a few more chapters under my belt.

Forger Denning. Read Stockman's NYT piece (which is really a synopsis of the the premise of the book) and judge for yourself.

Roger Dressler

Industry Expert
Aug 4, 2011
Oregon
Steve Denning's dissection might interest you (I tend to agree with Denning in the main) : http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevede...erica-the-failed-education-of-david-stockman/
I think his final paragraph sums it up well:
Offering simplistic solutions like “government is the problem” or delivering jeremiads on moral decay may be entertaining but they don’t get us closer to understanding the real issues or coming up with practical solutions. Public sector spending is only one symptom of what has gone wrong. Fixation on that issue to the exclusion of all else isn’t helpful. We need to recognize that both public and private sectors have lost their way. Real leadership to transform both sectors is needed.
What I would add is that the private sector is a huge gaggle of independent enterprises, each with its own president, VPs, etc., as each operates within a microcosm of a government-like structure in isolation, with no overarching organizing process within which to formulate consensus on how to proceed as a group (never mind that doing so might be an antitrust violation). The public sector, OTOH, while also huge and multifaceted, has the benefit of a sort of "top down" structure starting with its one and only president, who therefore can set a direction and vision that reverberates through the entire chain.

Which sector do you think would have the best chance of success in making the first move by unilaterally adopting the right kind of leadership, and therefor setting an example of how a process can be started to lead us toward practical solutions? If more people in both sectors talked like Dr. Ben Carson, that would be a good start. But I think it carries a more immediate effect if government folks, at any level, of any party, did it, and did it first.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing