Buying a Cartridge from The UK? Duty Fees/Import Tax?

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I am trying to find out if anyone here has experience with buying a cartridge or similar item from a UK dealer, (or other outside US source), and what if any costs are assoc. with duty/import fees or taxes? I get mixed signals from my own investigations and few real answers.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
for export, the price you're quoted should be "ex VAT" or excluding value added taxes. depends on the retailer/country some add the tax in their webprice others quote prices net of any taxes. at any rate you shouldnt pay the local tax of the home country.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
The UK VAT is 20% on all goods. the price you are quoted should cost the figure minus the 20% VAT. then add freight.

You will then have to add any tax/fees ( if any) that the US Govt charge on imports

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I looked into importing a Reel to Reel deck from UK and after searching a while, found a customs pdf that basically showed very low rates below 5% for just about anything to do with audio. I just looked and now they have an interactive online version of the file (it was a pain to search through 100+ page version I used). Here is the link: http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/offsiteR...ade/trade_programs/duty_rates/determining.xml

The key thing is to have it marked with the right customs category per the above doc as opposed to description of the product.

rrr

May 17, 2010
We buy a lot of stuff on eBay from UK and occasionally other countries as well. If items are shipped by Post, we have never had an issue with the payment of duty or other fees. I suspect that if you purchase from a commercial business and that business prepares a commercial customs declaration, and the value is a "significant amount" then you would encounter some interest in collecting duty and, possible, use tax (depending on the state).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing