OurTake on the MyTek: Postive-Feedback

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I know I'm prejudiced because I own this DAC, but I think the first review is a hack job. It's a classic example of "For the money, it's not bad" type of review where the reviewer has his own pet DAC which costs more money and of course the lower-priced DAC can't beat his favorite DAC that he owns. We have all seen these types of reviews a thousand times before. I have learned not to assume that just because something costs more and you own it that it's better than something else that cost less (and sometimes far less). I have been brutally honest about this numerous times on this forum. And having said all of that, I'm not inferring that the first reviewer's DAC doesn't actually smoke the Mytek because I have never heard it. All I know is his description of how the Mytek sounds doesn't match my experience of how the DAC sounds.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I know I'm prejudiced because I own this DAC, but I think the first review is a hack job. It's a classic example of "For the money, it's not bad" type of review where the reviewer has his own pet DAC which costs more money and of course the lower-priced DAC can't beat his favorite DAC that he owns. We have all seen these types of reviews a thousand times before. I have learned not to assume that just because something costs more and you own it that it's better than something else that cost less (and sometimes far less). I have been brutally honest about this numerous times on this forum. And having said all of that, I'm not inferring that the first reviewer's DAC doesn't actually smoke the Mytek because I have never heard it. All I know is his description of how the Mytek sounds doesn't match my experience of how the DAC sounds.

No worries..it is all about system synergy. Appreciate you reading. For the record.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I run my Mytek side by side with my Playback Designs MPS-5. Certainly the PD is the better DAC, but the Mytek doesn't get embarrassed. It fairs quite well.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I run my Mytek side by side with my Playback Designs MPS-5. Certainly the PD is the better DAC, but the Mytek doesn't get embarrassed. It fairs quite well.

Hey Bruce:

No, the MyTek is not going to be embarrassed by just about any DAC.

It really is just a matter of taste. I found it to be a little unrelenting.

Over all it is a great product in my opinion.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Also, I made clear note of this in my review, to be fair I was not able to hear much of the MyTek in volume bypass mode
because at its lowest output, 3.5V, it was clipping my preamp.

Last edited:

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Also, I made clear note of this in my review, to be fair I was not able to hear much of the MyTek in volume bypass mode
because at its lowest output, 3.V, it was clipping my preamp.

i ended up using the singled ended out for that reason and left it that way.

i agree with MEP, its a great unit not just "for the money" i compared it directly to the BADA as Andy did and can see why he still prefered his existing setup but the mytek resolves more detail and has better bass, the bada has a smoother treble/top end. imo, the mytek and bada play on the same field despite the price difference.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
i ended up using the singled ended out for that reason and left it that way.

i agree with MEP, its a great unit not just "for the money" i compared it directly to the BADA as Andy did and can see why he still prefered his existing setup but the mytek resolves more detail and has better bass, the bada has a smoother treble/top end. imo, the mytek and bada play on the same field despite the price difference.

FYI..i just made one correction in my post..it puts out 3.5V at the lowest trim setting, sorry.

I also ran it single ended only.

Ultimately, I think what you lose with an op amp output stage is refinement. The BADA, and others just sound
more sophisticated to me. But again, that is ALL a matter of taste.

Totally agree it resolves a crazy amount of detail and the bass if off the charts.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Both in 44/16 and DSD? Many people are commenting on comparisons of digital units and do not state the format that they are referring to. This is too ambiguous and can even be misleading - I think I am not wrong stating that weighting the whole WBF membership in average we listen to 44/16 almost 99% of the time!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Both in 44/16 and DSD? Many people are commenting on comparisons of digital units and do not state the format that they are referring to. This is too ambiguous and can even be misleading - I think I am not wrong stating that weighting the whole WBF membership in average we listen to 44/16 almost 99% of the time!

No, but wait!! 44.1 khz? What about all the tens of thousands of DSD files out there??? Dude!;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Maybe here is where more differences come into play. I run my Mytek in volume bypass mode as both of my Krell preamps can handle it with no issues (KBL and KRC-HR). I'm also using the balanced outputs as well.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Maybe here is where more differences come into play. I run my Mytek in volume bypass mode as both of my Krell preamps can handle it with no issues (KBL and KRC-HR). I'm also using the balanced outputs as well.

That could be a factor. BTW, Andy also had no issues with is integrated amp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing