How to clean the Dirty (Shaded) dog lp's ?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I can't tell you how many sealed or NM shaded dog and other lp's I have that have blotches of whitish grey residue that does not come off no matter how hard I scrub with enzymes, alcohol based surfactants and even 5% distilled white vinegar. Nothing seems to remove this stuff and it makes the record crackle when the stylus encounters these area's during playback. Does anyone know what I am talking about ? Does anyone know how to remove it ? TIA

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I have some new records that have that too and I think it is a pressing defect. Although I have been lucky and my new LPs that have the grey areas in the vinyl don't make noise. If it is the same thing, you can't remove it.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Christian, I guess I'm lucky as none of my shaded dogs have this issue. If you are hearing background noise, I might suggest Gruv Glide. I like this product and it certainly knocks down the kind of hash you describe in less than pristine records.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
it's almost like mold release compound from the day, but it has baked in over 30-50 years depending on the album. I have bought over 5 sealed Dire Straits s/t (original issue) trying to get a quiet one. Some better than others, but I am not satisfied. I think I will try some dilute CLR. It's almost like a lime scale substance.

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
NOT FUNNY SAM, you've further voided your warranty, fella!

Rockitman;

Back in my school days I ran some LP's through a 240V 3 phase vacuum tube ultrasonic cleaner. That little beast was filled with DI water and a weak mix of Alconex. Alconex is a labware cleaner specific to ultrasonics that purports to leave no residue.

I have to believe the no residue hype, I was doing XRF analysis and there was no signature from the cleaner in the prepair'd samples.

Alconex seemed to remove fungus from garage sale LP's... but I think in some cases the fungus just ate the LP monomers and from there on out the LP was just noisy.

Pay no attention to Sammy.....he's hypoxic...... been on his bicycle for too many miles breathing exhaust fumes from all the sightseeing tourists.

Cyclotronguy

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I can't tell you how many sealed or NM shaded dog and other lp's I have that have blotches of whitish grey residue that does not come off no matter how hard I scrub with enzymes, alcohol based surfactants and even 5% distilled white vinegar. Nothing seems to remove this stuff and it makes the record crackle when the stylus encounters these area's during playback. Does anyone know what I am talking about ? Does anyone know how to remove it ? TIA

Do you have a picture of this residue you could share?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing