45 rpm Jazz Reissues

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Music Matters Jazz, ORG, Analogue Productions have been reissuing many treasured jazz recordings from the Prestige, Fantasy, Riverside, Pablo, Blue Note, Impulse, Verve, Roulette (and a few others) catalogs with TLC using the best electronics, tape decks, vinyl, etc possible.

Which of the many 45 rpm LPs have your purchased and what are your favorite LPs, both for sonics and performance?

And we owe these guys a debt of gratitude for keeping analog alive!!!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
My collection of such treasures is tiny (partially because I am a newcomer to jazz), but high on my list is the Vince Guaraldi Trio's A Charlie Brown Christmas. I quite like a few tracks on Jazz Impressions of Black Orpheus too, but I can't quite get into it the same as I can the former (with the huge exception Cast Your Fate to the Wind; I love that track!).

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
I would say that the Classic (RIP) 45rpm reissue of Mercury's recording of Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite" is one of the gems in my collection.

Also, I recently picked up the 45rpm version of Rickie Lee Jones' "It's Like This" which is superb

Then, there's Classic's 45rpm version of Billy Holiday "Songs for Distingue Lovers".

I have many of Patricia Barber's 45's like Modern Cool, Cafe Blue, Companion, Night Club.

Have many other Jazz and other 45's but enough's enough.

I am trying to be more selective since 45s are a bit of a pain for casual listening.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I would say that the Classic (RIP) 45rpm reissue of Mercury's recording of Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite" is one of the gems in my collection.

Huh? What's the scoop with Classic? I know that Acoustic Sounds now has exclusive distribution rights to their catalogue, but I've not heard of anything else.

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Huh? What's the scoop with Classic? I know that Acoustic Sounds now has exclusive distribution rights to their catalogue, but I've not heard of anything else.

Yeah. Little did I know that these 45's might become unobtainium. I heard that Classic violated someone's royalty agreements...Is that true? Not an insider so I only have hearsay.

BTW, am I the only "member" on this forum? Everyone else seems to be a "moderator". I'm impressed, but who moderates the moderators? I feel like a hair on a toilet seat.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Yeah. Little did I know that these 45's might become unobtainium. I heard that Classic violated someone's royalty agreements...Is that true? Not an insider so I only have hearsay.

BTW, am I the only "member" on this forum? Everyone else seems to be a "moderator". I'm impressed, but who moderates the moderators? I feel like a hair on a toilet seat.

I'm not sure what the answer is. There were a lot of rumors swirling around Steve Hoffman's site not too long ago. Michael Hobson wrote a response that can be found here: http://stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=212075&highlight=michael+hobson

Hope that shed's some light on the matter. As an aside, there have been rumors about Classic Records for as long as they've been around-none of which proved reliable!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have two subscriptions to the Blue Note Reissues, problem is I have not opened any of them yet!!!

Jay

Well watcha waiting for????? Them to unzip themselves :)

John Brooks

Apr 26, 2010
Washington (the state)
I have two subscriptions to the Blue Note Reissues, problem is I have not opened any of them yet!!!

Jay

I let some new, sealed LPs I bought sit without opening once. Never again. When I opened them, I found that two of them had had their spindle holes drilled off center, causing the cartridge to sway from left to right, 1/16" in one case and a full 1/8" in the other. Of course, seven months had gone by and when I called Elusive Disc they said the LPs were out of stock/out of print. They offered me a refund on the price of the LP only; I would have to pay shipping back (and had already paid shipping to me). It's on my list of things to do to re-drill the holes and then melt some plastic into the gap. What a pain! Since then, I open all used and new records, clean and test within a day or two of receipt.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing