New plinth, armboard, footers, motor for Vardier turntable

lapaix

Apr 27, 2012
Hi Everyone,
I have an ancient, like me, Verdier Platine tt with a "granito" base. The base is disintegrating, so I need a new plinth. Plus, the footers are rather unimpressive springs that I plan to replace with Stillpoints. Unless someone has a better idea.

I can think of several choices: granite, wood, or an aluminum plate I have lying around that consists of two layers of aluminum separated by a 1/16" sheet of lead. Sonically, that 3/4" platform is dead quiet, no ringing, etc. it is powder coated, so no one can come into contact with the Pb. Drilling holes for the platter mount, footers, and arm board can easily be done by a local machine shop for a few dollars.

I can make an arm board with a 5" d x 3.5" cylinder of aluminum that happens to be on hand, or of some other material. Which is best? Should the arm board be on the plinth or a separate tower?

Should I get a new motor? If so, which one?

At the end of all this I'll have a "Verdier" only in the sense of using the same magnetically suspended platter. Is the game worth the candle?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
David

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Everyone,
I have an ancient, like me, Verdier Platine tt with a "granito" base. The base is disintegrating, so I need a new plinth. (...)

David,

You must listen really loud in order to disintegrate a granite base! Verdier were known to use luxury African granite in their turntables - I would only replace the plinth with a similar material one. And my classical .02 conservative advice - please keep it as close to the original as possible. The Verdier is one of the turntables I have considered for long - see this beautiful one in a bookmark that I have on the turntables folder

http://www.premier-hifi.com/jcverdier.html

Attachments

• aa1.jpg
    aa1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 442

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing