Looking For A Tape Technician In The Los Angeles/Orange County Area

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My newest tape head preamp is on order with a scheduled mid June delivery. My last custom built unit had a bypass switch applied wherein the standard XLR outputs were used for the stock internal workings and SE outputs were installed for the tape head preamp. My new tape preamp will utilize XLR input/output. As a result I am looking for a technician in the Los Angeles/Orange County area who can convert the SE outputs on my Studer to XLR outputs. I know it's not terribly difficult however I would prefer to have someone far more knowledgeable than me....

Ki ....when are you coming to Southern California ;)

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Hi Steve:

There are several forum members living in San Diego area I wanted to visit. I am not sure how far you are from the SD airport.

However, I had been behind in fulfilling my commitments to other people here who's been patient more than a year. I need to reform and finish the project first before taking a trip to SD. Out of four people who had offered to reduce my herd of tape machine population, I am about to be done with three and one last machine to go...

In the meantime, you can tell me how your bypass switch was wired, we might be able to do it remotely. If your machine's head wires (two per channel) had been switched through a 4PDT (switching all four wires) switch, then I can send you a new Studer A810/A820 I/O plate with male XLR connectors mounted and two cables with four wires already soldered and to be soldered into the switch contacts. Otherwise, the work gets bigger...

Besides, I used to use two single shielded cables for direct head wiring but based on experience with Bruce's A80RC, I had changed to original Studer twisted pair shielded cables for better noise control for the differential input preamp.

Last edited:

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
If you can take a photo of the switch and wires soldered and send it to my email:

kichoi[at]alumni[dot]duke[dot]edu

I will be able to determine scope of the mod.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The switch is controlled by a simple toggle switch on the outside. If turned to the XLR outs then it was the stock Studer. If pointing to the SE then it would be to an external preamp. The actual circuit is mounted inside the chassis and is a circuit board which essentially is an A B switch

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
My newest tape head preamp is on order with a scheduled mid June delivery. My last custom built unit had a bypass switch applied wherein the standard XLR outputs were used for the stock internal workings and SE outputs were installed for the tape head preamp. My new tape preamp will utilize XLR input/output. As a result I am looking for a technician in the Los Angeles/Orange County area who can convert the SE outputs on my Studer to XLR outputs. I know it's not terribly difficult however I would prefer to have someone far more knowledgeable than me....

Ki ....when are you coming to Southern California ;)

Steve - that mod might not require an extensive RtR expertise IMO (and Ki has a loooong waiting list :) ), any qualified electronics technician could be able to perform it...

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Calling Tommy Ten Thumbs and his roll of plumber's solder...

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Ki,

Glad to hear you're coming to San Diego...hope we can get together!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing