Do you trust watches from fancy jewelry companies?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I need to get a watch for my wife, and she happens to like watches designed by jewelry companies. My understanding is that fancy jewelry companies like Bulgari, Cartier, and Hermes don't make their own mechanisms. They just source them and put diamonds around them, as I understand. Does anyone know where these jewelry companies get their mechanisms? And are they any good?

It would suck to drop $XX,XXX on a watch and have it break down after a few years.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Cartier has got service centers all over the world. Bulgari too. I wouldn't worry.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
You are right, but Cartier, Bulgari, etc mostly use quartz mechanisms, which are far more reliable and more accurate than mechanical watches anyway. The objection really should be this - why pay $X,XXX for a stainless steel quartz watch when you could buy a Citizen or a Seiko for much less? At least with mechanical watches, you know where the money has gone.

caesar

May 30, 2010
You are right, but Cartier, Bulgari, etc mostly use quartz mechanisms, which are far more reliable and more accurate than mechanical watches anyway. The objection really should be this - why pay $X,XXX for a stainless steel quartz watch when you could buy a Citizen or a Seiko for much less? At least with mechanical watches, you know where the money has gone.

I actually love an $85 swatch for its design, knowing full well my iPhone and windows 8 can tell better time. But I learned long ago not to argue with women about petty things. Actually, I think she wants diamonds, not a watch.... Happy wife, happy life.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing