Looking for Suggestions on DAC Under $3K

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
A good friend of mine and I are both looking for a new DAC in the under $3K range. I was wondering what folks here would suggest we look for in terms of features?

How important, relatively speaking, are the following...

1. DAC chip?
2. Analog output stage?
3. Designer or brand?
4. USB Implementation?
5. HF openness?
6. Resolution?

Or do we just focus on certain brands and products? Any specific recommendations helpful. We are both quite familiar with Ayre, Benchmark (I'm looking closely at DAC2), and PS Audio units (He's looking closely at latest version, owns current one). We both like a good bit of detail but not at the expense of musicality. Goal is to buy something really nice so we can keep for 4-5 years before next upgrade.

DSD ability nice to have but not essential. USB connectivity strongly preferred.

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I went with Bruce's recommendation for what he felt was the best sounding DAC under $10K, the Mytek Stereo 192. It has the USB implementation and will output 24/192 and both DSDx1 and DSDx2 over USB. I think it sounds great.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
A good friend of mine and I are both looking for a new DAC in the under $3K range. I was wondering what folks here would suggest we look for in terms of features?

1. DAC chip?
2. Analog output stage?
3. Designer or brand?
4. USB Implementation?
5. HF openness?
6. Resolution?

Or do we just focus on certain brands and products? Any specific recommendations helpful. We are both quite familiar with Ayre, Benchmark (I'm looking closely at DAC2), and PS Audio units (He's looking closely at latest version, owns current one). We both like a good bit of detail but not at the expense of musicality. Goal is to buy something really nice so we can keep for 4-5 years before next upgrade.

DSD ability nice to have but not essential. USB connectivity strongly preferred.

I give my very highest recommendation to the Bryston BDA-2 at $2995.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

1. DAC chip?
2. Analog output stage?
3. Designer or brand?
4. USB Implementation?
5. HF openness?
6. Resolution?

I just spent a month with it.

Pros:
Extremely high in resolution. Amazing amount of features. Bass
is among the best in have heard in a $1500 DAC.

Cons:
Somewhat hard and unforgiving on top. A bit lacking in dimension.
A bit fatiguing in long listening sessions. However a detail freaks dream.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Pros:

Cons:

Which DAC?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Pros:

Cons:

Oh sorry, I meant to reply to your post. The MyTek.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It's hard to believe that you think it sounds hard and unforgiving on top. My experience is the exact opposite. Maybe it is the difference between our systems.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
It's hard to believe that you think it sounds hard and unforgiving on top. My experience is the exact opposite. Maybe it is the difference between our systems.

Could be the systems. I used Carver and ARC amps, plus Harbeth
and Thiel speakers with Transparent cables.

That is what I heard across the board. Compared it to 3 other DACs.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Some prefer cappucino, some prefer tea, some prefer black coffee.

the MyTek is definitely black coffee.. Maybe even black espresso. :D

I don't get the analogy, but that's ok. Maybe your unit was defective as your opinions are 180 out from what I hear. Did you listen to primarily PCM?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

1. DAC chip?
2. Analog output stage?
3. Designer or brand?
4. USB Implementation?
5. HF openness?
6. Resolution?

I was hugely impressed by the Rein Audio X3-DAC. At $1280
is is a downright steal.

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-preamplifiers/stereo-preamps/rein-audio-x3-dac-review-2.html

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I don't get the analogy, but that's ok. Maybe your unit was defective as your opinions are 180 out from what I hear. Did you listen to primarily PCM?

Are you using it with a preamp or integrated amp with volume control in Bypass?

That could explain a few things.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Interesting suggestions.

I'm hearing good things about the T+A DAC8 as well. Any thoughts on that?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing