Anyone use the Audio Tools iphone app?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
yes CD1 is an orange cover called Test CD" and track 4 is pink noise

using the pink noise generator on th iphone app and looking at the 1/3 octave FFT, what curve should I be seeing for a good room response going from 30hz to 20k hz ? I see it relatively flat from 30hz up to 160hz, then it rises till 500 hz where it flattens out pretty well up to 20K.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Play the pink noise through your speakers with the track 4. Use the RTA and not the FFT

why? wouldn't you use a normal 1/6 octave average FFT? that's what I use on Audiotools.

to the OP- nobody likes to admit that these things are quite good now. Kevin Voecks uses Audiotools at shows which should say a lot. Have zero interest setting up a laptop with external sound card, boom, and mike with an interface like REW for sound in 2013. However, every audiophile I know will pay for an iPad program.

We should be seeing reviews of these tools and efforts by Ethan and others on the acoustics front on how to use them better and with more accuracy.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
why? wouldn't you use a normal 1/6 octave average FFT? that's what I use on Audiotools.

to the OP- nobody likes to admit that these things are quite good now. Kevin Voecks uses Audiotools at shows which should say a lot. Have zero interest setting up a laptop with external sound card, boom, and mike with an interface like REW for sound in 2013. However, every audiophile I know will pay for an iPad program.

We should be seeing reviews of these tools and efforts by Ethan and others on the acoustics front on how to use them better and with more accuracy.

IMHO if you want to diagnose a system and get some real help to position speakers you need at less 1/24 octave average - otherwise you will not be able to know what are the real bass problems and its cause.

These Ipad tools are nice for a quick checkup at a show, just to get a fast idea of any great problems. But as far as I could see (unhappily I was not able to find the full technical specifications of the program) you still can not compare them with a program such as REW used with a laptop with external sound card, boom, and mike! Perhaps I am wrong, but I could not find the possibility of comparing many spectra and tools such as RT60.

Mos probably experts knowing their speakers as well as the palm of their hands can do a better job with Audiotools than me with a a fantastic measuring instrument - I am addressing amateurs as me! Just my .02, I would love to hear our experts on these matters.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Play the pink noise through your speakers with the track 4. Use the RTA and not the FFT

Hi Steve.

Is there anyway to save a RTA plot as a gif or jpeg to the iphone after doing a room measure ?

Running the pink noise test track 4 through the speakers and measuring the RTA from the listening position I find a relatively flat response through the whole frequency range save for a 4 or 5db dip (null?) at 60 Hz.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
There isn't Christian. I pause the plot and then take a photo (just as Mark did) with my wife's iphone and then forward it to me by email where I can store it

Hi Steve, you can take a snapshot of what's on your screen by pressing the Home-button and the Off-switch (on the top, side of the phone) at the same time. The image is stored with your other photos.

Tracks 43 and 44 at this link will give you Correlated and Uncorrelated Pink from 20Hz-20kHz

http://open.spotify.com/album/4WQsZBbrHY8fKwcyVGo3qr

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Steve, you can take a snapshot of what's on your screen by pressing the Home-button and the Off-switch (on the top, side of the phone) at the same time. The image is stored with your other photos.

Tracks 43 and 44 at this link will give you Correlated and Uncorrelated Pink from 20Hz-20kHz

http://open.spotify.com/album/4WQsZBbrHY8fKwcyVGo3qr

Duh.. Of course and why didn't I think of that

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I started another thread to show the results I got and I probably should have kept it here. I'm not sure how good this tool really is when used with the built in Iphone microphone and if it is really painting an accurate picture of what the room is doing. I think my room sounds way better than the graph indicates. I did end up dialing in a little more mid and upper bass. I'm afraid if I had enough bass at 57.7 Hz and 145.8 Hz to make the graph flat it would run me out of the room.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
mep, at those frequencies, its likely fairly accurate. It's not uncommon to have room modes at the frequencies you indicate.

Acoustic treatments plus maybe some repositioning could help address those.

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
I've been using this with the FFT plugin for awhile. I just updated my iPad mini to iOS7.0.4 and it now recognizes my UMM-6 Dayton calibrated USB mic. Getting the calibration file in there is a bit kafkaesque, but it works well for measurements.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Does this app have features to get at acoustic decay information? How do you collect this information and make practical sense of it?

Also, what is the practical difference between the RTA and FFT features? How and why would you use one feature over the other?

Thanks!

wgscott

Sep 1, 2011
CA (USA)
Their website probably provides better answers, but it is basically a measurement tool, not one for generating filters or anything like that. RTA is like an FFT binned as a histogram, so it is much more blunt. I don't know why anyone would use the RTA, except for the fact that it comes with the app, and the fft module is an in-app purchase.

I used this when I set up my subwoofer, and I also use it with pink noise to check on how well my Dirac correction is working (quite well, fwiw).

caesar

May 30, 2010
I've been using this with the FFT plugin for awhile. I just updated my iPad mini to iOS7.0.4 and it now recognizes my UMM-6 Dayton calibrated USB mic. Getting the calibration file in there is a bit kafkaesque, but it works well for measurements.

What kind of adapter do you need to get the mic to work with an ipad? And is the process to get the the calibration in there documented anywhere? Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing