The Dynaudio Arbiters are here

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just want to pop in and tell you guys that I am back after a short breather and a good hard think. I hope to be able to contribute positively at the forum in the future.

Great news...I am glad to see there are already others who feel the same way. We look forward to a continuation of all your positive contributions of the past, which have been many and great.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
I just want to pop in and tell you guys that I am back after a short breather and a good hard think. I hope to be able to contribute positively at the forum in the future.

Good Roysen, some will be pleased and some not, it is very difficult to please everyone i know this from experience.:)

bvdiman

Mar 7, 2013
Great news...I am glad to see there are already others who feel the same way. We look forward to a continuation of all your positive contributions of the past, which have been many and great.

+1 :cool:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Great. I am sure that someone with your experience will go on generating valuable contributions to this forum.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Good to have you back Roy ... cheers !

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Things have changed here. I am going to give the Magico Q7/Dynaudio Arbiter/Lyra Connoissuer 3.0 combination one year where I am going to try my best to get them to sound as best I can. In about one year I will buy the Rockport Arrakis. If I am going to sell the Magico Q7 or not depends on how well they will play. What will happen with amplification is also a matter of trial and error. If I can get the combination I have to play well, I will keep it. Then I will need to find an amplifier match for the Tube Research Labs GT-800s and the Tube Research Labs preamplifier to biwire the Arrakis. I am thinking about the VTL Siegrieds, the CAT Statements or the Atma-Sphere MA-3s.

This is my final decision.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Things have changed here. I am going to give the Magico Q7/Dynaudio Arbiter/Lyra Connoissuer 3.0 combination one year where I am going to try my best to get them to sound as best I can. In about one year I will buy the Rockport Arrakis. If I am going to sell the Magico Q7 or not depends on how well they will play. What will happen with amplification is also a matter of trial and error. If I can get the combination I have to play well, I will keep it. Then I will need to find an amplifier match for the Tube Research Labs GT-800s and the Tube Research Labs preamplifier to biwire the Arrakis. I am thinking about the VTL Siegrieds, the CAT Statements or the Atma-Sphere MA-3s.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Good luck with your existing setup. it might come down to setup or to more minor 'edits' to cabling, etc...

I do not know the Q7 but have heard the Q1-5, V2 and S5 with various electronics, mainly ARC, D'Agostino and Constellation. Instinctively and speaking with people, the amps I always wanted to hear big Q7s with: Zanden monos (2 sets of monos) or Gryphon Mephisto. I have heard excellent things about the Zanden 9600 mono/Q7 combo which showed in Amsterdam a few years ago, and (I recall) also from someone here who heard them in the US.

Again, good luck. And definitely keep us posted! About your existing system and of course the mighty Arrakis system!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Roysen, I thought you had sold the Q7s. Since you are keeping them for a while, did you decide to have them repaired? How do the Arrakis sound different from the Magicos?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Unfortunatly my Magico Q7 customer backed out of the purchase as a result of the dispute between Magico and me over the responsibility for my damaged Q7. I have decided to repair my Q7. The damaged speaker will be shipped to Magico for repair shortly.

I have not yet had the chance to audition the current version of the Arrakis. So my comparsion notes here would have been between the Rockport Altair and my damaged Magico Q7. That would be such an unfair comparison so far from what you asked for that I will not even do it. What I can do is say a few words about the Magico Q-Series house sound compared to the Rockport Technologies house sound.

If we start with Magico Q-Series, they are extremely TRUE TO THE SOURCE. They have what must be the most open, transparent and neutral sound of any loudspeaker brand out there. This is a somewhat two-edge sword because every little flaw in the recording or in the upstream components, cables, rack, electrical system or acoustics will be ruthlessly relvealed by these speakers. They are because of this utterly transparent picture into everything involved in the playback very dependant on good synergy or system matching with the amplifiers used to drive them. With a good system match they can sound absolutely in a league of their own. With the wrong syngergy they can sound mechanical, analytical and unmusical. Their absolute strength above all else can be described in three words, resolution, resolution and resolution.

The Rockport Technologies speakers are maybe the most TRUE TO THE MUSIC loudspeaker brand in the market. I would say the Rockport speakers share more attributes with the Magico Q-series speakers than they are different but the Rockports are definetly more forgiving to the recording and to system matching to reach a high level. While the Magico's are seemingly not there in terms of strengths and weaknesses while presenting what the system in front of the speakers are delivering, the Rockports do have quite a few strengths that is noticable while they have very few weaknesses. Their strengths would in my opinion first of all be their extreme transient response especially at the very top of the frequency range. Secondly its the tonal beauty. Instruments and voices are presented with such beauty its hard to imagine it done any better. Thirdly the lower midrange and upper bass of the Rockport speakers provides an unusual amount of energy not present in other speakers. This energy boost makes the experience of listening to the Rockport speakers not only a passive listening experience but more of a physical experience as well. The music grabs you in a different way and involves you more by making you FEEL as well as hear to make you believe that you are part of the musical event. The cabinets of these two companies are what must be the best constructed in the market. The Rockport cabinets makes the soundstaging these speakers throw absolutly spectacular. The speakers vanish from the soundstage if you close your eyes and the image focus and trackability of the musicians as they move about the stage is increcible.

The most memorable listening experience I ever had was with a pair of Rockport Altair and full Soulution 700 set-up. That sound completely destroyd the fun of listening to my home system at the time (Audio Physic Cerubin, Krell MRA, Lyra Connoisseur 3.0 and Wadia Series-9) for almost a year. I lived in despair of not being able to listen to that system anymore.

There are three other speakers I have considered when deciding to go for these speakers. That is the Estellon Extreme, Avalon Acoustics Tesseract and the upcoming Tidal Audio La Assoluta. I have however now made my chioice and will stay commited to that forward.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Extremely well articulated. I have spent time with all the Qs except the 7 and have spent time with the Altair 2s and Arrakis 2. Roysen's description of the Rockport sound seems right to me...particularly the bass energy/physical experience thing. Listening to nirvana unplugged at lifelike concert levels in Hong Kong, no problem. That was an ear opener for me for sure. That was not something he xlf's did as well...and xlf's are one fantastic speaker. What was most impressive is that it did not shock me with its ability to do this...we just hit play and there it was...Kurt Cobain. And only when I went back to my notes mentally did I register that this made the mighty XLFs presentation seems more like Sasha or Alexia's...

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I would like to add that there are a lot of really great loudspeakers I have not auditioned. Among them Magico Ultimate 3, Wilson XLF, Gryphon Pendragon, JM Lab Grande Utopia, Evolution Acoustics MM7, Von Schweikert Reasearch The Universe, Genesis the Dragon etc

These speakers as well as Estellon Audio Extreme, Tidal Audio La Assoluta and Avalon Acoustics Tesseract might well have proved to be more true to the source or true to the music compared to Magico Q7 and Rockport Technologies Arrakis if I had the chance to hear them.

So my statement should have included the following phrase, In My Honest And Limited Subjective Opinion.

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
I have again considered what my hifi-system(s) should be like and have now come to the conclusion below. This is not easy choices. Some of my current choices have come back from having been discarded for a while.

In order to keep to the original idea of a tubed and a solid state system, I have added an alternative set of tube electronics to the central line (CD-player, Turntable, Phonostage, Linestage, Crossover and Amplifiers) in the Rockport system.

I have to admit that I am as much an audiophile collector as an audiophile and because of that I have also added an alternative speaker system to each system and some additional amplifiers to make me able to play all systems with either tube or solid state electronics. These are collectors items and will be available to subsitute into the system anytime but they will never by a regular feature in any of the systems. These collectors items are components that I am looking for but they are not a needed and most of those listed will probably never make it to my systems, but I list them here nevertheless becuase I would certainly like to own them.

SYSTEM 1
CD-Playback:
MBL 1621A Transport
MBL 1611F D/A Converter

SACD-Playback:
Soulution 746 SACD Player
Soulution 746 Power Supply

DVD and Blu-Ray Playback:
Metronome Technologie Kalista Ultimate SE Transport
Metronome Technologie Nausicaa D/A Converter
Metronome Technologie Elektra PSU
GTE Audio Trinity DAC Mk.II Controller
GTE Audio Trinity DAC Mk.II Mono DAC
GTE Audio Trinity DAC Mk.II Mono DAC
APL NWO Master Transport
APL DAC-M D/A Converter
APL DSR-Master Transport
APL DSD-Master D/A Converter

Filebased playback:
Burmester 111 Music Centre
Burmester 069 CD Player
Burmester 069 Reference Line PSU

LP-based Playback:
Clearaudio Statement Turntable
Clearaudio Statement TT-1 Tonearm
Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement Moving Coil Cartridge

LP-based Playback:
Transtotor Artus Turntable
Bluelectric Altair Tonearm
Bluelectric Altair Jewel Moving Coil Cartridge

LP-based Playback:
Teres Audio Model 460 Turntable
Schroeder Reference SQ Cocobolo Tonearm
Koetsu Blue Lace

Phono:
(Qualia - Bluelectric,
Boulder - Clearaudio)
Qualia Indigo Reference Mono phonostage
Qualia Indigo Reference Mono phonostage
Qualia Indigo Reference PSU
Boulder 2008 phonostage
Boulder 2008 PSU

Preamplifier with integrated phonostage:
(Lyra Connoisseur - Koetsu)
Lyra Connoisseur 3.0 Preamplifier
Lyra Connoisseur 3.0 PSU
Lyra Connoisseur 3.0 PSU

Amplification:
(darTZeel - Treble, Midrange, Midbass,
Dynaudio - Bass)
darTZeel NHB-458 Mono Amplifier
darTZeel NHB-458 Mono Amplifier
Dynaudio Arbiter Mono Amplifier
Dynaudio Arbiter Mono Amplifier

Loudspeakers:
Magico Q7 Loudspeaker
Magico Q7 Loudspeaker
Magico QSub-18 Subwoofer
Magico QSub-18 Subwoofer

Collectors items amplifiers:
Jadis JA-800 Mono Amplifier
Jadis JA-800 Mono Amplifier
Jadis JA-800 Power Supply
Atma-Sphere MA-3 Mk.3.2 Mono Amplifier
Atma-Sphere MA-3 Mk.3.2 Mono Amplifier
Atma-Sphere MA-3 Mk.3.2 Power Supply
Atma-Sphere MA-3 Mk.3.2 Power Supply

Collectors items loudspeakers:
Zellaton Statement Loudspeaker
Zellaton Statement Loudspeaker
Burmester S8 Subwoofer
Burmester S8 Subwoofer

SYSTEM 2
CD Playback:
Orpheus Labs Heritage Transport
Orpheus Labs Heritage D/A Converter Mk.III
Orpheus Labs Heritage D/A Converter PSU

SACD Playback:
CH Precision D1 Transport
CH Precision X1 PSU
CH Precision upcoming Master Clock
CH Precision upcoming C1 Mono D/A Converter
CH Precision X1 PSU
CH Precision upcoming C1 Mono D/A Converter
CH Precision X1 PSU

DVD & Blu-Ray Playback:
(Still hope it will be a available)
Constellation Audio Sirius Transport
Constellation Audio Sirius D/A Converter
Constellation Audio Sirius PSU

Filebased Playback:
Light Harmonic Sire The Source
Light Harmonic Sire Streamer
Light Harmonic Sire Dual D/A Converter

LP-based Playback:
Continuum Audio Labs Caliburn Turntable
Continuum Audio Labs Castellon Turntable stand
Continuum Audio Labs Cobra Tonearm
Koetsu Coralstone Platinum Moving Coil Cartridge w/Diamond cantilever upgrade

LP-based Playback:
Blue Pearl Audio JEM Turntable
Da Vinci Audio Labs Master Reference VIRTU
Clearaudio Insider Reference Wood Moving Coil Cartridge

LP-based Playback:
Audiostone Pythagoras Turntable
Durand Audio Telos Tonearm
Lyra Atlas

Phono:
(Tidal - Clearaudio,
Constellation - Koetsu,
Vitus - Lyra)
(Still hope it will be a available)
Constellation Audio Orion Phonostage
Constellation Audio Orion PSU
Vitus Audio MP-P201 Phonostage
Vitus Audio MP-P201 PSU
Tidal Audio La Assoluta Phonostage

Linestage:
Tidal Audio La Assoluta Preamplifier
Tidal Audio La Assoluta Preamplifier PSU

Crossover:
Tidal Audio La Assoluta LPX Active Analogue 2-Way Stereo Crossovef

Amplification:
Tidal Audio La Assoluta Stereo Amplifier (Treble, Midrange, Midbass)
Tidal Audio La Assoluta Stereo Amplifier (Bass)
Tidal Audio La Assoluta Stereo Amplifier (Basstowers)

Loudspeakers:
Tidal Audio La Assoluta Main Loudspeaker
Tidal Audio La Assoluta Main Loudspeaker
Tidal Audio La Assoluta Basstowers
Tidal Audio La Assoluta Basstowers

Collectors Items Amplifiers:
Vacum Tube Logic Siegfried Series 2 Mono Amplifiers
Vacum Tube Logic Siegfried Series 2 Mono Amplifiers
Audio Research Reference 750 Mono Amplifiers
Audio Research Reference 750 Mono Amplifiers
Conrad Johnson ART Mono Amplifiers
Conrad Johnson ART Mono Amplifiers

Collectors Items Loudspeakers:
Estelon Extreme Loudspeaker
Estelon Extreme Loudspeaker
Kharma Exquisite Subwoofer
Kharma Exquisite Subwoofer

SYSTEM 3
CD Playback (Solid State):
Wadia 971 CD Transport w/GNSC Statement Modification
Wadia 931 Digital Controller w/GNSC Statement Modification
Wadia 922SC Monaural Decoding Computer w/GNSC Statement Modification
Wadia 922SC Monaural Decoding Computer w/GNSC Statement Modification

CD Playback (Tube):
Zanden Audio Model 2000 Premium Transport
Zanden Audio Model 2000 Premium PSU
Zanden Audio Model 5000 Signature Tubed D/A Converter
Zanden Audio Model 5000 Signature PSU

SACD Playback:
Esoteric Grandioso P1 Transport
Esoteric Grandioso P1 PSU
Esoteric G-01 Rubidium Master Clock
Esoteric Grandioso D1 Mono D/A Converter
Esoteric Grandioso D1 Mono D/A Converter

DVD & Blu-Ray based Playback:
MSB Signature Ultimate Media Transport
MSB Diamond Transport Power Base
MSB Signature Data CD IV Transport
MSB Diamond Transport Power Base
MSB Platinum Stereo A/D Converter Plus w/FemtoSecond Galaxy Clock & USB Adaptor
MSB Diamond Power Base
MSB Diamond D/A Converter IV Plus w/FemtoSecond Galaxy Clock & USB2 Signature Input & Pro I2S Input & Renderer Input
MSB Diamond Power Base

Filebased playback:
Audeeva Conbrio Server
Audeeva Conbrio PCM Streamer
Audeeva Conbrio DSD Streamer
Audeeva Conbrio PSU
Audeeva Metronomo Caesium Clock
Audeeva Metronomo PSU
dCS Vivaldi Transport
dCS Vivaldi Upsampler
dCS Vivaldi Master Clock
dCS Vivaldi D/A Converter

LP-based playback (Solid State):
Rockport Technologies System III Sirius Turntable
Rockport Technologies System III Sirius Tonearm
Lyra Olympos Moving Coil Cartridge

LP-based playback (Tube):
Triangle Art LE Turntable
Vertere Reference Tonearm
Koetsu Jade Platinum /w diamond cantilever upgrade

LP-based playback (Solid State):
TechDas Airforce One
Airtangent Reference Mk.II
Kiseki Lapis Lazuli

LP-based playback (Tube):
Kronos Audio Kronos
Kuzma Airline
ZYX Premium Diamond

Linestage (Solid State):
FM Acoustics Resolution Series 223 Phonostage
FM Acoustics Resolution Series 203 PSU

Phono (Tube):
LAMM Industries LP1 Signature Phonostage
LAMM Industries LP1 Signature PSU
LAMM Industries LP1 Signature PSU

Phono (Solid State):
Spectral DMC-25 Reference Phono Preamplifier

Phono (Tube):
Aesthetix IO Eclipse Reference Phono Preamplifier
Aesthetix IO Eclipse PSU
Aesthetix IO Eclipse PSU

Linestage (Solid State):
FM Acoustics Resolution Series 268-C Linestage

Linestage (Tube):
LAMM Industries LL1 Signature Mono Linestage
LAMM Industries LL1 Signature Mono Linestage
LAMM Industries LL1 Signature PSU
LAMM Industries LL1 Signature PSU

Crossovers (Solid State):
Rockport Technologies Arrakis II Active Two-Way Stereo Analogue Crossover
FM Acoustics Resolution Series 334 Active Three-Way Mono Analogue Crossover
FM Acoustics Resolution Series 334 Active Three-Way Mono Analogue Crossover

Crossover (Tube):
Tube Research Labs Platinum GTR Preamplifier w/Active Analogue 3-way Stereo Crossover
Tube Research Labs Platinum GTR Preamplifier PSU

Amplification (Solid State):
(FM Acoustics - Treble, Midrange, Bass,
Goldmund - Bass,
Master Audio Systems - Wilson)
FM Acoustics Resolution Series 118 Mono Amplifier
FM Acoustics Resolution Series 118 Mono Amplifier
Goldmund Telos 5000 Mono Amplifier
Goldmund Telos 5000 Mono Amplifier
Master Audio Systems Helius Mono Amplifier
Master Audio Systems Helius Mono Amplifier

Amplification (Tube):
(LAMM Industries - Rockport Treble, Rockport Midrange, Rockport Midbass,
S.A. Lab - Rockport Bass,
Tube Research Labs - Wilson)
LAMM Industries ML3 Signature Mono Amplifier
LAMM Industries ML3 Signature Mono Amplifier
LAMM Industries ML3 Signature PSU
LAMM Industries ML3 Signature PSU
S.A. Lab Erato Controller
S.A. Lab Erato Mono Amplifier
S.A. Lab Erato Mono Amplifier
S.A. Lab Output Transformer
S.A. Lab Output Transformer
Tube Research Labs Platinum GTR 800 Monos
Tube Research Labs Platinum GTR 800 Monos
Tube Research Labs Platinum GTR 800 PSU
Tube Research Labs Platinum GTR 800 PSU

Loudspeakers:
Rockport Technologies Arrakis II Loudspeaker
Rockport Technologies Arrakis II Loudspeaker
Wilson Audio Thor's Hammer Subwoofer
Wilson Audio Thor's Hammer Subwoofer

Collectors Items Amplifiers:
Burmester 909 Mk.V Mono Amplifier
Burmester 909 Mk.V Mono Amplifier
Edge NL Reference Mono Amplifier
Edge NL Reference Mono Amplifier
GamuT Audio S600M Mk.III Mono Amplifier
GamuT Audio S600M Mk.III Mono Amplifier
Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 925 Mono Amplifier
Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 925 Mono Amplifier
Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 925 Power Supply
Jeff Rowland Design Group Model 925 Power Supply
Spectral Audio DMA-400 Reference Monaural Amplifier
Spectral Audio DMA-400 Reference Monaural Amplifier
Halcro dm88
Halcro dm88
Analog Domain Apollo Mono Amplifier
Analog Domain Apollo Mono Amplifier
Boulder 3050 Class A Mono Amplifier
Boulder 3050 Class A Mono Amplifier
Soulution 701 Mono Amplifier
Soulution 701 Mono Amplifier
Vitus Audio MP-M201 Mono Amplifier
Vitus Audio MP-M201 Mono Amplifier
Vitus Audio MP-M201 Power Supply
Vitus Audio MP-M201 Power Supply
Gryphon Audio Design Colosseum Solo Amplifier
Grypnon Audio Design Colosseum Solo Amplifier
Krell Master Reference Amplifier
Krell Master Reference Amplifier
Sovereign Audio THE SOVEREIGN
Sovereign Auido THE SOVEREIGN
Mark Levinson No.33 Reference Monaural Amplifier
Mark Levinson No.33 Reference Monaural Amplifier
Pass Labs Xs300 Mono Amplifier
Pass Labs Xs300 Mono Amplifier
Pass Labs Xs300 Power Supply
Pass Labs Xs300 Power Supply
Emm Labs MTRX Mono Amplifier
Emm Labs MTRX Mono Amplifier
Constellation Audio Hercules II Mono Amplifier
Constellation Audio Hercules II Mono Amplifier
Convergent Audio Technologies JL3 Statement Mono Amplifier
Convergent Audio Technologies JL3 Statement Mono Amplifier
Zanden Audio Chouku Mono Amplifier
Zanden Audio Chouku Mono Amplifier
Joule Electra VZN-350 Destiny Monoblock OTL Amplifier
Joule Electra VZN-350 Destiny Monoblock OTL Amplifier
Shoreline 800 Mono Amplifier
Shoreline 800 Mono Amplifier
Wavac Audio SH-833 Mk.II Mono Amplifier
Wavac Audio SH-833 Mk.II Mono Amplifier
Wavac Audio IS-833 Mk.II Isolation Transformer
Wavac Audio IS-833 Mk.II Isolation Transformer
Wavac Audio TB-833 Mk.II Power Transformer
Wavac Audio TB-833 Mk.II Power Transformer
Wavac Audio PS-833 Mk.II Power Supply
Wavac Audio PS-833 Mk.II Power Supply
Kondo Gakuon Mk.II Mono Amplifier
Kondo Gakuon Mk.II Mono Amplifier
Ypsilon Electronics PST-100 Ultimate Mono Amplifier
Ypsilon Electronics PST-100 Ultimate Mono Amplifier
Pathos Acoustics Adrenaline Mono Amplifier
Pathos Acoustics Adrenaline Mono Amplifier
Rike Audio Edzard Mono Amplifier
Rike Audio Edzard Mono Amplifier
Audio Power Labs 833 TNT Mono Amplifier
Audio Power Labs 833 TNT Mono Amplifier
Octave Research Jubilee Mono Amplifier
Octave Research Jubilee Mono Amplifier
Silbatone Acoustics P300 Signature Mono Amplifier
Silbatone Acoustics P300 Signature Mono Amplifier
Audio Tekne TM-9502 Mono Amplifier
Audio Tekne TM-9502 Mono Amplifier
Aries Cerat Exseqour Reference Mono Amplifier
Aries Cerat Exseqour Reference Mono Amplifier
Tenor Audio 350M Haute Puissance Mono Amplifier
Tenor Audoi 350M Haute Puissance Mono Amplifier
Air Tight ATM 2001 Mono Amplifier
Air Tight ATM 2001 Mono Amplifier
Balanced Audio Technologies REX Mk.II Mono Amplifier
Balanced Audio Technologies REX Mk.II Mono Amplifier

Collectors Items Loudspeakers:
Avalon Acoustics Tesseract
Avalon Acoustics Tesseract
Krell Master Reference Subwoofer
Krell Master Reference Subwoofer

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Those are three very ambitions systems. Congratulations. Is this for your personal use, or are you planning to open a dealership?
Will these all be set up in the same house/apartment and how much effort are you putting into the rooms?

I'm curious about so many things but here are just a few:

What do you feel will be the main differences between the systems?
Why for instance is the LP system from #1 not in #2 or in #3?
Why three large cone/dynamic speaker systems rather than one with another being a horn and the third being a panel based system?

Roysen

Aug 6, 2011
Actually I am not going to go into all of that detail.

What I will share is that we are talking about three private systems.

I have no dealership.

A few of the questions you have are already answered in this thread and other threads on this forum. All systems will be installed in my house.

The Magico system in my basement livingroom. The Tidal Audio system in my first floor living room and the Rockport Technologies system in my second floor living room. There will be put quite a bit into the rooms but not as much as originally planned when I intended to build a dedicated studio for hifi in my garden to house two of these systems. The rooms will also function as the family living rooms, so there will naturally be a limit to how much I can put into my rooms.

Other details I have not outlined but planned is the home network for files and servers, the power network, cables, power distribution, racks and equipment feet.

The initial thought was to have a reference solid state system (Rockport Technologies system) and a reference tube system (Tidal Audio system) in their dedicated room in the studio in the garden. Additionally I wanted a little bit smaller system (Magico system) in the main house first floor main living room for my girlfriends needs and for more social purposes with guests. This system would naturally be used by me quite a bit too, so the requirement for quality was equal to the other systems although the speakers had to be smaller in order to accomodate them in the living room and at the same time keep the living room as family friendly as possible.

Since then the plans had to change because of my health situation, the priority was to drop the studio plans and move the systems into rooms in the main house. Secondly the Tidal Audio system changed character from a tubed based system to a solid state system too because La Assoluta now is delivered as a total system approach including La Assoluta solid state amplification. I am not willing to change the Rockport Technologies system to a tubed based system.

I will later get into some details about collectors items that can be used as substitution items in the three systems later. This will make it possible to use tubed amplification in any system at any time since some of these collectors items I am looking for are tubed based. However the default configuration is what is outlined above. By collectors items I mean components I would like to own and collect more than I want to incorporate them as a regular component in any of the systems.

As for the turntables it is pretty easy. The Continuum turntable and tonearm is paired with the Koetsu cartridge based on a test of the similar combination by Michael Fremer. The Constellation Audio Orion is combined with the the Continuum Cobra tonearm and Koetsu cartridge because Constellation Audio and Continuum Audio Labs were owned by the same people at the time of the design of these components and I think there certainly must be some synergy involved with these components because of that and there is a strong possibility the turntable, tonearm and phonostage were used together when at least the phono stage was designed.

I really want to own the Vertere Reference/Bluelectric Altair Jewel combination and it was decided to put it on the Continuum table as its second arm/cartridge because there is no room for a second arm on the Rockport Sirius table and the two Clearaudio cartridges and its tonearms probably have a better synergy with the Clearaudio table. The Vertere Reference and Bluelectric Altair Jewel combination seems to be more on the fast and neutral side which would suit the Tidal Audio house sound and I assume the La Assoluta phonostage sound character very well. That is why that arm/cartridge is put on that phonostage.

This whole Continuum table was put in the Tidal Audio system because I heard the Constellation Audio electronics with the Tidal Audio loudspeakers at a Munich show s couple of years ago and they played very well together. Since the Constellation Orion belongs together with the Continuum turntable in my plans that was one of the reasons why the Continuum table was put in the Tidal Audio system. The second reason why the Continuum table of my configuration is put in the Tidal Audio system is an evaluation that the Rockport turntable will most likely be best suited in the Rockport system and because both the Clearaudio Statement suits Magico better than Continuum and because Continuum suits Tidal Audio better than Magico.

In the Rockport system it seems natural that the best synergy is with the Rockport table and the whole Rockport system use FM Acoustics electronics, so a FM Acoustics is also natural. The Lyra Olympos on the Rockport table and arm is a tried and tested combination at Mike Lavigne's system. So that is the reason for that choice.

The Clearaudio house sound seems to me as a great synergy with Magico. That is why this table is put in this system. Secondly the whole combination of Clearaudio Ststement Turntable, Statement TT-1 and Goldfinger Starement is s tried and tested combination with great results. It is an obvious choice. I have heard the Da Vinci Audio Labs arm with the Clearaudio Insider Reference Wood cartridge. It sounded very good and the Clearaudio cartridge naturally belongs on the Clearaudio table. The Qualia phonostage is not compatible with the Goldfinger Statement cartridge so it will need to be paired with the Da Vinci Audio Labs arm and Insider Reference cartridge, and that leaves the Boulder phonostage to be paired with the Clearaudio Statement TT-1 arm and Goldfinger Statement cartridge combination.

I like cone design speakers. In my opinion they are the best match of compromise among the different types of speaker technologies. Both horns and electrostats have some strengths exceeding what cone designs can do in certain areas but overall I prefer cone designs. My intention was to make the systems sound different by going for different types of amplifier design types in solid state and tube for my reference systems and a smaller to maintain solid state system in my living room.

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Roysen do you have an oil well in your garden ??:D

The initial thought was to have a reference solid state system (Rockport Technologies system) and a reference tube system (Tidal Audio system) in their dedicated room in the studio in the garden. Additionally I wanted a little bit smaller system (Magico system) in the main house first floor main living room for my girlfriends needs and for more social purposes with guests. This system would naturally be used by me quite a bit too, so the requirement for quality was equal to the other systems although the speakers had to be smaller in order to accomodate them in the living room and at the same time keep the living room as family friendly as possible.

Tidal tubes ??? iirc they only make SS, what tubes will you use then ??

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing