Graham, WA
AR MGC-1
AR C225 PS
M&K V-1B
Pioneer VSX 47TX
Oppo BDP-83
Squeezebox v3
Vortexbox Appliance

this represents my first foray into HT and also serves as my main stereo system. the centerpiece of the system is the AR MGC-1 Magic Speaker's which were given to me by their original owner and designer, Ken Kantor.

everything is horribly confined on the short wall, and off-center at that. its a good example (or bad if you prefer) of what can happen when a speaker-head encounters WAF. despite this the system sound spectacular, how i dont really know, but there isnt a bad seat in the room.

for stereo recordings a Vortexbox media server using loss-less flac (in the back room) hardwired via cat cable to a Squeezebox v3 is the source, while a Pioneer VSX 47TX (no hdmi) handles dsp and dac duties and drives the both side and front speaker array's in 5-channel stereo mode. for multi-channel recordings its an Oppo BDP-83 for dac via 5.1 analog out as source. the receiver delivers the surround channels to the side array's, front channel to the front arrays and center channel to a recently acquired AR C225 PS center channel (not pictured). for both stereo and multi-channel recordings an M&K V-1b powered sub fills out the low end.

hdfrontsm.jpg

hdside.jpg

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I wouldn't worry about the WAF. Your system looks great. I might paint the wall behind the system a darker color so the system doesn't stand out on it with so much contrast. That will make it less noticeable to her.

When having discussions with your wife, take the opposite point of view on everything that doesn't matter to you, then give in to her desires. After all the concessions and accommodations you've made, your wife will have to allow you your pleasures with your system. After all, it's only a stereo system, there's no life and death consequences or significant impact on lifestyle or children. She should be able to make an accommodation or two. If this doesn't work, you can always get a new wife. ;)

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
thanks Gary!

on this particular WAF encounter, the line in the sand was drawn at placing the speakers on a side wall instead of on the long wall. in due time i plan to wear down her defenses on this issue.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
thanks Gary!

on this particular WAF encounter, the line in the sand was drawn at placing the speakers on a side wall instead of on the long wall. in due time i plan to wear down her defenses on this issue.

best of luck with that one ;)

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
What could they possibly do, withhold sex????? :p :eek: :D

we've been married for 28 years and i've learned that after 28 years of marriage not to comment on that...

the reality is that we both live here on equal footing. getting these speakers into the living room was not a 'victory' for me, but a concession on her part. in other ways i've made similar concessions and we are both happy with that knowledge. even though she doesnt like the dominating look of the speakers, she does appreciate how they perform for music and theater.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
HT is a nice way to get her involved (it helped me), even to the extent to invite guests to see my "cave" and see a concert... Nice looking room BTW.

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
new digs, a dedicated room, and a center speaker much better suited to the rest of they system. room treatments are in dire need, but wont be immediately forthcoming, and i'm still tweaking placement from whats in these pic's from yesterday. the sub is proving to be the most finicky, but the center was surprisingly simple to dial right in. i'm hoping to make some headway towards a custom rack or, maybe an assembly of custom equipment surfaces as well. for now, i'm having lots of fun with the tweaking and the listening processes.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Very nice!

You have given your system the opportunity to show its stuff now!

I see you have left, right and center speakers. Goes your new theater set-up have a roll down screen?

dingus

Mar 22, 2013
Graham, WA
Very nice!

You have given your system the opportunity to show its stuff now!

I see you have left, right and center speakers. Goes your new theater set-up have a roll down screen?

i'm thinking a projector, but that would be the last element to the system. its always been a music system first and only did HT because it was in a shared space.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Nice to see your system getting its own, albeit shared, space. And I think a nice custom stand would make for a wonderful addition as well. Enjoy the tweaking!:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing