2nd Annual B.A.S.S. Meetup - Connecticut

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
It's been a busy month in the shop, and I realized it's almost April!!

Planning of the second B.A.S.S. meetup here at the Bass Pig's Lair is underway and we're floating Saturday April 13 as a possible date. I haven't even finished my OTL VT amplifier project yet, as I've not had time and I decided to cave in and get a power transformer. The cost around $800 to have this custom wound. So the OTL is still in the works.
Also still planning the food arrangements and topics of discussion.

Would like to get some input as to whether this date works for most of you who are interested in attending.

www.basspig.com

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Did you know that overlaps with the NY Audio show at the New York Palace Hotel?

I would be interested in attending your group.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Did you know that overlaps with the NY Audio show at the New York Palace Hotel?

I would be interested in attending your group.

Yes. In fact, I was asked to work for Michael Fremer, for free, videotaping his vinyl demonstration seminar that weekend. I chose to do the other thing. Also, the 13th seems to be preferred by those that responded to my earlier poll on when to have the event.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I guess I'll have to rearrange my plans so I can attend.

Do you have a website for information or registration for your meet?

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
I guess I'll have to rearrange my plans so I can attend.

Do you have a website for information or registration for your meet?

We're just doing RSVP stuff via e-mails, like last year. This isn't a major trade convention, so no registration web site. Just an informal gathering of audiophiles from the northeast (and slightly beyond, as was the case last year).

Some of last year's attendees are talking up this year's event in another forum, trying to ensure that we have enough commitments to go ahead with the meet.

An attendee from last year wrote the following blog about his experience:

http://magneticmadness.blogspot.com/2012/04/my-visit-to-basspigs-lair.html

Everyone can judge for themselves if they'd like to attend.
I'm on a very busy schedule this month, with a custom amp build and a video shoot in NYC this Sunday with editing production the week following, plus I'm entering an animation proposal for a big motorcycling event here on the east coast this summer for the chance to make a nice chunk of cash. Been burning the candle at both ends for the past week. But if I set a goal to have the B.A.S.S. meeting and have commitments, I'll work hard to meet all the deadlines!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Don't forget to velcro your pant legs down for when the bass hits.

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
No no, medicinal acid tablets; for upset stomachs.

I stopped taking Maalox when my ulcers healed when I quit the 9-5 stress lifestyle 30 years ago, so, nope. Maybe I should rework that BASS intro video to filter out the single-digit infrasonics?

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
As with last year, our B.A.S.S. Meet was a great success!
Thank you to all who attended and brought so many great food items as well!

The main audio/video demo featured my Blu-ray productions of the Bridgeport Symphony Orchestra with Alex Beyer, performing Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No 3 in D minor, then the GBS performing Rachmaninoff's Symphony No 2 in E minor, (selected movements), then Allison Eldredge with the Boston Classical Orchestra, performing Saint-saens Concerto for Violoncello in A minor, then the Zambelli Ultimate Fireworks Blu-ray that I had the pleasure to capture from the launch pad, then I played a track from a Japanese soundtrack "The Weathering Continent" as a 2-channel Sonic Holography demo. Next up was a demonstration of the dbx 500 Subharmonic Synthesizer. For this demo, I used appropriate material lacking in fundamental bass (Average White Band "Pick Up the Pieces") and then gave an example of the absurd Bass Pig effect when you use it with Reggae music that DOES have some bass.
We took a break at the buffet and then returned to the Lab portion of the day where I demonstrated Bell Labs' new tri-tone test for Transient Intermodulation Distortion. We tested a Sansui AU-9500 against a Lepai 2020 amplifier. The results were colorful and interesting. The test setup consisted of three Tektronix SG5010 precision audio oscillators, outputting 10.05KHz, 9KHz and 20KHz, respectively, summed into a resistor network which fed each of the audio amps under test. I also performed traditional THD and SMPTE/DIN IMD testing. The Sansui easily tromped the Lepai on traditional tests, with ultra-low .028% THD, but the tables were turned when the tri-tone tests were performed, with the Lepai being an order of magnitude lower in TIM distortion than the Sansui.
And finally, I fired up the HP 8568B spectrum analyzer, connected to an outdoor antenna, and displayed the spectral mask of several FM stations, some with and without IBOC (In Band On Channel) or HD Radio digital transmission, discussing the effects on DX listening with the presence of the wider digital sidebands.
Our last guest showed a BD of Baraka on our big screen, which provided a colorful and sometimes disturbing look at life around the world, focused mainly around Asia.
All in all, a positive experience, many questions and positive comments.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing