DCS upsampler

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Enatai252,
Did you have the opportunity to compare the Scarlatti DAC with the Vivaldi DAC in the same system?

I don't have access to the Scarlatti however I believe there will be some Scarlatti owner's that decide to upgrade...hopefully they will be able to provide some insight. Also Tone Audio has a stack they are reviewing and I believe Jeff will be comparing it to other dCS products

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Micro,
why are you looking to transcode from PCM to DSD when dCS supports also DXD?
Seems you would be transcoding from PCM to DSD and then using DSD over PCM to transfer from PC to dCS (in theory should be transparent but still overheads and complicated by the software solution on the PC).
Upsampling is ok as long as it is same multiplier (that was PMiller's view anyway but a nono if it is not), appreciate this becomes complicated when some recordings are 48khz multiplier but dCS supports DXD at 352.8 and 384k.

I guess you can compare both, key for DXD upsample would be choice of selected filter in the Vivaldi to be as close to ones preference, but again not sure how much of this relies upon the Vivaldi Upsampler box.

Would definitely be interested what the results are from your auditioning as it will be interesting.
Cheers
Orb

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Mep - I believe one of the reasons upsampled material sounds better, is the fact that when working with higher sampling rates, the DAC can use a much more gentle digital filter slopes, which translates to less phase problems within the audible range (20-20k). No need for problematic 'brick wall' filters.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing