DCS upsampler

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was looking at the DCS Vivaldi stack - four pieces: DAC, clock, upsampler and transport. The sum price of the two last pieces is higher than the sum of the fist two, so a few questions can arise.

Does a CD or SACD played using the DCS transport sound better than when played through a music server?

As far as I could understand DCS preferred mode is upsampling PCM do DSD. Is it possible to convert the PCM file to a DSD file in a personal computer and play the DSD file in the DCS, avoiding the upsampler?

Although I must say I am not considering spending such amounts in a digital source, opinions of DCS owners would be particularly welcome!

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010
I was looking at the DCS Vivaldi stack - four pieces: DAC, clock, upsampler and transport. The sum price of the two last pieces is higher than the sum of the fist two, so a few questions can arise.

Does a CD or SACD played using the DCS transport sound better than when played through a music server?

As far as I could understand DCS preferred mode is upsampling PCM do DSD. Is it possible to convert the PCM file to a DSD file in a personal computer and play the DSD file in the DCS, avoiding the upsampler?

Although I must say I am not considering spending such amounts in a digital source, opinions of DCS owners would be particularly welcome!

I did blind comparisons with a music server feeding PCM to the Scarlatti upsampling to DSD vs. Scarlatti transport feeding the upsampler. Both my audio buddy and I preferred the music server. I am not aware of any music server that can upsampler to DSD. I can't comment on the Vivaldi.

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
i just recently purchased 3 of the four Vivaldi pieces. I did not buy the transport as I listen almost exclusivly to either 16/44 CD files ripped with my Naim HDX or downloaded HiRez files. The HDX serves as the UPnP server. I do have some SACD discs but plan to play those on my Ayre DX5 directly to my preamp. The Vivaldi DAC is definitely in a class of very special DACs...I am hearing a noise floor that is so low...that audio cues related to the recording environment are now present in a way that brings the event right into your room. Since i plan to use the network input not USB....I purchased the upsampler and since the network input will benefit from the master clock....I purchased that as well. I hope to have the app which controls the network from dCS soon. I have heard great things about the transport but for me that investment was too much for the amount of time I would use it. Given the cost...I think you have to listen for yourself....I found it to be a clear yes. I also am not using the PCM to DSD....instead I am using the dual AES connection and upsampling to 352k or 384k depending on source sample rates.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Paul Miller review he suggested it is best not to upsample/transcode PCM to DSD or vice versa for best results.
Edit:
Meaning with regards dCS and their internal functionality.

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) instead I am using the dual AES connection and upsampling to 352k or 384k depending on source sample rates.

Do you know if there is any PC based simple solution to upsample 44/16 files to to 352k with quality?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
There are two solutions employed by most players, SoX and iZotope SRC.
My favourite player (Audirvana+) uses iZotopoe, and its performance is on par with my DAC's internal upsampling, adding a "smoothness" to the music that's sometimes very agreeable, even necessary on poorly recorded music. But, for convenience, I end up using the DAC's upsampling and leave the player's turned off.

alexandre

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Paul Miller review he suggested it is best not to upsample/transcode PCM to DSD or vice versa for best results.
Edit:
Meaning with regards dCS and their internal functionality.

Cheers
Orb

here is an excerpt of the Paul Miller review of the Puccini in 2008...he does not seem to chose any one particular option.

LET THERE BE MORE LIGHT
So with standard CD and stereo SACD playback able to draw the listener in, albeit in different ways, what of DSD-upsampled CD? I held back from this option initially, fearing it would be the worst of both PCM and DSD worlds. But by the end of the day I could appreciate why dCS has stood by the 1-bit system, out-of-band flaws and all. If undiluted PCM CD playback on the Puccini is crystalline and lightning fast, clean but uncompromising, the DSD-upsampled version is open, flowing, and – dare I say it – analogue in feeling. It takes away what you might call the ‘16-bit ceiling’ to give a thoroughly non-digital delivery, a little rosy and cloudy in places, but entirely free of mechanical stricture. Some razor speed is traded for a slower and more measured sound, relaxing and inviting, with acoustic grand piano especially benefitting from this organic effect as complex notes fade into nothing.

VERDICT
Three ways to enjoy this most accomplished of disc players: be spellbound by SACD, if your taste in music is reflected by album availability; use CD mode for crisp and explicit insight into the recording; or upsampled DSD for a thoroughly natural, flowing sound on CD reminiscent of filterless DACs, only forsaking the audible coloration and fussiness about content. In all, a treat for music lovers.

I have not tried upsampliing the PCM digital files to DSD...am currently using the Upsampler as my UPnP renderer than upsampling to 352-384k which has sounded so good. I have also tried using the Naim ND5XS streamer into the upsampler via BNC input...but prefer the direct network connection of the upsampler over the additional BNC connection. The BNC connection also precludes the use of the master clock whereas the network connction of the upsampler has the benefit of leveraging the master clock for the DAC and the upsampler. I may try DSD after I have gotten use to the current setup and will report. I can say the Vivaldi DAC alone is likely a big benefit to many of the systems out there today.

Last edited:

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
This is from his review of the dCS Vivaldi 4-box solution:
Yes, this is the most exquisite digital front-end I've had the pleasure of auditioning, albeit with the following provisos:
Ensure the upsampling is synchronous [remain same multiple] and avoid transcoding (keep LPCM as LPCM and SACD/DSD as DSD).

The review is in Feb 2013 publication, and the Vivaldi had great measurements and review from PM.
Cheers
Orb

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I did blind comparisons with a music server feeding PCM to the Scarlatti upsampling to DSD vs. Scarlatti transport feeding the upsampler. Both my audio buddy and I preferred the music server. I am not aware of any music server that can upsampler to DSD. I can't comment on the Vivaldi.

Hmm my dealer and I found just the opposite. We both have dCS Scarlatti stacks. we both preferred the transport. To me, it wasn't even close. They we tried the same on Ayre cd player (forget the model..but had a USB in)...again, I preferred the transport.

I am not disputing your findings...just I found the opposite...

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Hmm my dealer and I found just the opposite. We both have dCS Scarlatti stacks. we both preferred the transport. To me, it wasn't even close. They we tried the same on Ayre cd player (forget the model..but had a USB in)...again, I preferred the transport.

I find it easy to believe you are both right. Based on my experience...I would find it hard to make general statements about transport vs music server quality. WRT music servers...I have found sound quality to be highly dependent on the entire music server chain (hard drive, software, usb to spdif converter, etc...)so results may vary depending on the combo used in the evaluation. Additionally, the dCS transport will benefit from low jitter as both the DAC and transport will reference the same clock. This will not be the case when using spdif inputs of the DAC for music server. I actually prefer a UPnP server/renderer combo over USB delivery...and I find sound quality differences depending on which server or renderer I use.

I am now getting some time on my new Vivaldi stack (sans transport) using its network connection...this connection is asynchronous so I can lock both the DAC and Upsampler to the master clock (I use Naim HDX as the UPnP server). I would expect that if I had the transport...it would sound just as good on SACD or 16/44 based on what I have heard but I am unable to confirm..for now....this network connection is the best I have heard in my system.

I do have a Ayre DX-5 in my system which is likely the unit you used...and in my system..the USB input outperformed the transport on 16/44...but higher rez DVD audio and SACD discs through transport slightly outperformed hi Rez FLAC files of same material via USB. USB system was Mac mini/Ammara. I preferred the Naim NDS/PS555DR across all sample rates over the DX5 except SACD which I feel is best in native form. The best 16/44 playback I have heard prior to the Vivaldi stack was the Naim CD555/PS555DR which I use in my study system

FWIW...I still listen to vinyl more than 40% of the time and its my favorite source

rhbblb1

May 4, 2010

Did you and your dealer do the comparison with a blinded test?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I was looking at the DCS upsampler specifications and the input specifications of the DAC.

The DAC accepts 2x Dual AES pairs at 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8 & 384kS/s or dCS-encrypted DSD. Ignoring the DSD format, is there any PC card, such an the Lynx's or RME's that can output data in a format compatible with the Dual AES pairs at 352.8 & 384kS/s? Or only the DCS upsampler can use these inputs?

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I was looking at the DCS upsampler specifications and the input specifications of the DAC.

The DAC accepts 2x Dual AES pairs at 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8 & 384kS/s or dCS-encrypted DSD. Ignoring the DSD format, is there any PC card, such an the Lynx's or RME's that can output data in a format compatible with the Dual AES pairs at 352.8 & 384kS/s? Or only the DCS upsampler can use these inputs?

The AES inputs on the Vivaldi DAC can accept dual AES like you mention, typically from the Upsampler or Vivaldi transport...or can operate as single AES inputs for sources that do not send dual signals. As a signal inputs, it accepts rates from 44-192k. So you lose the DSD and DXD There may be some other brands that support dual AES but I am not familiar with them

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Do you know if there is any PC based simple solution to upsample 44/16 files to to 352k with quality?

I positively don't understand how upsampling 16/44.1 to 352K can make the original file sound better. You can't add more information to a file. The information that was encoded at 16/44.1 is all the information that is available to work with.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I positively don't understand how upsampling 16/44.1 to 352K can make the original file sound better. You can't add more information to a file. The information that was encoded at 16/44.1 is all the information that is available to work with.

Ok I am far from the digital expert here. Your statement "I positively don't understand how upsampling 16/44.1 to 352K can make the original file sound better" it doesn't do anything to the original file. Upsampling allows the digital to analog process to work better. You can hear it on my dCS Scarlatti.

Here is a snipet from dCS's website (http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/page/myths)::

"Upsampling
An Upsampler is a digital-to-digital converter (DDC) capable of converting digital audio data at one sample rate to a higher sample rate. The term "Upsampler" was first used by dCS in 1998 during development of the dCS Purcell. Some other manufacturers appear to have confused the term "upsampling" with "oversampling", which is a similar process used in good audio DACs for many years. They have missed the point that upsampling is an intermediate step intended to provide enhanced data to drive an oversampling DAC.

Some positive observations that help to characterise the effects of upsampling in a dCS system

Upsampling to progressively higher sample rates makes progressive improvements to fine detail, sound stage depth and image separation. So, the sound quality increases as you upsample CD data first to 24/88.2, then 24/176.4, then 24/352.8 kS/s.
Converting 16/44.1 to 24/44.1 kS/s makes a worthwhile improvement to the fine detail, so the resolution is important also.
If data with a higher information capacity is presented to the Ring DAC, sonic improvements are reported.
One present view is that upsampling works by breaking the DAC's oversampling function down into 2 steps, presenting the DAC with finer, smoother data, making the DAC's job much easier and more accurate."

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I read it, but it only makes sense from a marketing point of view. If you change a single dollar bill into 4 quarters, you have 4 times as much currency in your hand, but you still only have a dollar. Likewise, upsampling 16/44.1 into any higher rate can't increase the actual number of bits of resolution or the sampling frequency-that has already been fixed in stone at the time of the recording. You don't get to go back later and add more information than was originally recorded by using a conversion process. I'm sure you can change the sound because all conversion processes will leave some type of fingerprints on the original file.

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
I read it, but it only makes sense from a marketing point of view. If you change a single dollar bill into 4 quarters, you have 4 times as much currency in your hand, but you still only have a dollar. Likewise, upsampling 16/44.1 into any higher rate can't increase the actual number of bits of resolution or the sampling frequency-that has already been fixed in stone at the time of the recording. You don't get to go back later and add more information than was originally recorded by using a conversion process. I'm sure you can change the sound because all conversion processes will leave some type of fingerprints on the original file.

I am not an engineer but my layman's understanding is something like this. Think of it like video displays today. Each video display has a native rate and while a display with a native rate of 720p can display a DVD signal....somewhere along the line-from DVD player to display- that signal has to be converted to the displays native rate. In many cases, a standalone video processor will do a better job converting the 480i DVD picture to 720p...rather than having the TV display do it. The same thing applies to many of the DACs today. For example, many DAC chips today process a signal at 704/768k...so when given a 44k CD stream, the DAC performs 16 times upsampling. If it is given a 176k signal it performs 4 times upsampling and so on.

So while there can be separate debate on the benefit of recording music at higher sample rates....the uPsampler debate is really about does the standalone upsampler do a better job getting the signal closer to the DACs native rate....because it will be up-sampled to a higher rate somewhere along the line. Does the DAC benefit from not having to work as hard? ...does the dual AES connection generate less jitter? Does using a stand alone Upsampler sound better? That will be an individual decision...but not based on belief that the original signal is somehow getting more info...just that the info is being processed better.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) So while there can be separate debate on the benefit of recording music at higher sample rates....the uPsampler debate is really about does the standalone upsampler do a better job getting the signal closer to the DACs native rate....because it will be up-sampled to a higher rate somewhere along the line. Does the DAC benefit from not having to work as hard? ...does the dual AES connection generate less jitter? Does using a stand alone Upsampler sound better? That will be an individual decision...but not based on belief that the original signal is somehow getting more info...just that the info is being processed better.

Enatai252,
Did you have the opportunity to compare the Scarlatti DAC with the Vivaldi DAC in the same system?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing