A Day of a Wilson Audio experience

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Hi all,

On Saturday my wife (Jenny) and I met up with fellow forum member Mike Ruegamer in Vancouver to attend a demo of Wilson Audio's new Sophia Series 3 hosted by The Hi Fi Centre. After the demo Mike invited us back to his place for dinner and conversation (and some listening too!). Mike has a pair of WA Maxx 2s in his music room and great matching ancilliary gear.

Although we listened to a few cuts (on CD; his big turntable was still being set up), we spent most of our time talking. I'd like to thank Mike and his wife, Patty, for their generous hospitality and good company. The lift back to our car in South Surrey was both unexpected and much appreciated!

Mike (and other forum members for that matter) are more than welcome to visit us here in Kelowna should yopur travel plans put you here!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Tell us about the Sophia 3

Sure, although my limted comments should be taken with at least a pinch or two of salt due to the unfamiliar surroundings, accompanying equipment, and demo material.

The Sophia 3 is a surprisingly compact speaker. I thought the treble was a bit "hot" at the beginning of the demo, but it tamed as time passed so it might've been that recording. Alas, it was an all-digital demo, using files sourced from Peter McGrath's laptop (various sample sizes and rates). The bass was deep and authoritive, and the speaker has a great dynamic range. Driven by high quality, high powered Classé amps, the Sophias didn't seem to strain even when the wick was pretty cranked! But they could also play quietly, which I think is important for a speaker.

WIlson's advertising blurb about their "X material" seems to be kosher: a quick knuckle rap indicated that the cabinets were dead: very little (if any) boxey colourations here.

I'm not sure I can write much more meaniingful stuff without a better listen. But I'd sure like to an audition in more familiar surroundings!

Bearing in mind it was a completely different room and so on, we did have a quick listen to the next model up (the Sasha). That too was very impressive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing