Reel to Reel choice for every day recording.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Unfortunately I think that Percussion Record is actually a digital recording.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike
Thank you for sharing the experience of the two Studers , I like to modify amps, parts don't charge by brand name, more you pay more you can get, I don't know the circuit of King-cello repro( active EQ or passive EQ ? any feed back ?) and what type of parts in use, if it can sound better than the stock mostly because of better parts in use, my dream circuit of repro amp ( I will do in future) is all tube, passive EQ, no feed back, all transformer coupling. I believe this one will provide the best sounding
tony ma

hi Tony,

i don't blame you for doing your own work; for myself i don't have the knowledge or inclination to even consider that direction. in any case, i cannot really describe the King-Cello circuit design other than it is solid state and i don't believe it has any feedback and has passive EQ. the King-Cello is kinda custom built; some have various types of capacitors or no capacitors; mine uses a BNC 50 ohm output designed for my darTZeel 'zeel' interface.

i prefer it to the tubed repros i have heard to date; it has a lower noise floor and is more neutral; but that perspective is much about individual taste and perfection of execution and not so much solid state verses tubes.

the original designer of the basic Cello curcuit was Tom Colangelo; Charles King ('Stellavox' here on WB) designed and builds the King-Cello.

best regards,

Mike

Last edited:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Unfortunately I think that Percussion Record is actually a digital recording.

I know that and I have the vinyl and I heard the CD too ,I wonder that digital recording in vinyl also sound very good from my all transmitting tube SE amp multi amps in 4 ways horn system, maybe because it is all percussion, and will be different in strings music

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Mike!

Man, I would love to have hung-out with you and Ki:D One of these days!!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Sam
Winston Ma , same family name but no relationship, I heard his name before, CD Golden String's founder. but I am a analog guy not his fans
regard tony ma

Well, if I'm not mistaken, FIM title "What a Wonderful Trio" by Tsuyoshi Ymamoto Trio (DXD 079) was also recorded with analogue tape at 15 ips. Perhaps, we can prevail upon Mr. Ma to release copies of this on reel :cool: The music is terrific and the CD acquits its medium very well, indeed!

Special kudos to Mike and Bruce for getting me hip to this music.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada

Well, if I'm not mistaken, FIM title "What a Wonderful Trio" by Tsuyoshi Ymamoto Trio (DXD 079) was also recorded with analogue tape at 15 ips. Perhaps, we can prevail upon Mr. Ma to release copies of this on reel :cool: The music is terrific and the CD acquits its medium very well, indeed!

Special kudos to Mike and Bruce for getting me hip to this music.

I think Mr Ma can release more collections from TBM (three blind mice ) they all in master taped just like Tsuyoshi Yamamoto's " Misty" famous in vinyl , depend on market's demand , maybe another Tape Project will come out soon
tony ma

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

Well, if I'm not mistaken, FIM title "What a Wonderful Trio" by Tsuyoshi Ymamoto Trio (DXD 079) was also recorded with analogue tape at 15 ips.Special kudos to Mike and Bruce for getting me hip to this music.

Yes it was. When we traveled to Japan to record this, Winston wanted every option available. The recording was done in 4 formats; Tape, DSD, DXD and PT 24/192. We spent about a month or 2 comparing the formats and finally ended up with DXD (32/352.8) sounding the way we wanted.

"All Star Percussion" was taken from 24/44.1 MO Disc

Winston does have a tape machine. It's a Studer A810 that was here at the studio. It was completely rebuilt from the ground up with new Flux Magnetics extended response heads and such.

I've done quite a few digital (DSD or DXD) to tape transfers with great success. Very few people can hear DSD5.6 in it's native format but it makes a great transfer medium for tape. I know we've been getting a lot of DSD5.6 mix-down files from studios around the world and doing a tape layback when mastering makes it sound like butter!

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Bring it on! Oh, yes...
I'm a fool for analogue tape - especially, the 1/2" and 1/4", 2-track type - haha
:cool:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Winston Ma = One of the underated and one of the nicest persons in the industry!

His updated system back then:

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue3/maroom2.htm

My partner use the same TT but with elastic thread as the belt and switch the motor to Clearaudio 's motor and speed control too , sound better than the come with, also same tonearm but a silver tonearm cable direct from cart ( same Benz Micro LP) to phono stage that made by me,
tony ma

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Hi Tony,

That looks wonderful. I mostly record from my vynils a mixture of songs on tape and from MP3 from my computer. I forgot to mention that on my original thread and I use reel-to-reels for playing daily music in my own home like a Hi-Fi system. I like the nice sound of analog recordings and in particular REVOXes. You have a nice set-up there. I am not so lucky to own an A80.
Regards,
Eugen

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing