Early Classic Records boxed sets

paskinn

Jan 28, 2013
On a more 'sombre' note', I can't help reflecting that this collection represents one mans' lifetime collection.....and some of it hasn't even been played. As far as I know, you can't take anything with you. What you don't experience now, the records you don't play, is never experienced. And all those things you love, will drift off into other hands.
On this occasion, the collection fell into careful hands, but once you are gone, all bets are off.
In one sense, you just 'rent' objects.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
On a more 'sombre' note', I can't help reflecting that this collection represents one mans' lifetime collection.....and some of it hasn't even been played. As far as I know, you can't take anything with you. What you don't experience now, the records you don't play, is never experienced. And all those things you love, will drift off into other hands.
On this occasion, the collection fell into careful hands, but once you are gone, all bets are off.
In one sense, you just 'rent' objects.

in the collecting world we're considered to be 'custodians' the fact is most LPs will out live their owners barring a natural disaster or WWIII. I've been down that road buying for the sake of completeness, HP's superdisc list becomes some knd of high stakes scavenger hunt, at times the music can be secondary to chase. lucky for Rich he found such a collector and can now pick and choose what he wants to keep on his terms. whatever the outcome you cant loose with HQ vinyl, it only appreciates in value.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
you have them already, i bet Jack ! ;)

I wish! There are 5 titles in Rich's keeper list that I've been looking for clean copies of and that's just the tip of his iceberg!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
They all suck. Sell them ALL........to me! LOL!

Damn! OK, Will $20 + shipping be OK? :)

Just kidding Rich! That is quite the haul you got there!

It is. A lot of the records seem to be non-audiophile, although I admit to be being very uneducated when it comes to some of this stuff. For example, there are quite a few Decca/London records in the collection. I need to research how well regarded sonically and musically they are.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Rich, could you list some or all of the Export Box titles. They may be the same as the Brit Box II.

Thanks, Larry

Sure; here are the records in the Export Box:

Offenbach: Gaîté Parisienne (LSC 1817)
Ravel: Daphnis & Chloe (LSC 1893)
Prokofieff: Lt. Kije (LSC 2150)
The Reiner Sound (LSC 2183)
Moussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition (LSC 2201)
Debussy: Iberia (LSC 2222)
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No.4 (LSC 2369)
Rachmaninoff: Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (LSC 2430)
Respighi: Pines of Rome (LSC 2436)
Rimsky-Korsakoff: Scheherazade (LSC 2446)

Are they the same as those in the Brit Box II?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Rich, thanks. Looks like the Export box contains some of the most well known and valuable of the RCA Living Stereos in their original pressings. They were all part of the Absolute Sound Super Discs. None of them are in the Brit Box II. They aren't in any of the boxes I have. The Brit boxes contain records which were done by Decca-London under contract with RCA. In the old days, Decca also did pressings of RCA Living Stereo's in the UK. The orchestras are British and other European ones. Just about all of them were reissued by Decca in their discounted SDD series, maybe 5-10 years after they were released by RCA. Brit Box II contains:
LSC-2077 Strauss, R Till Eulenspiegel, Reiner VPO
LSC-2185 Rahmaninoff Symphony 3 Boult LPO
LSC-2288 Prokofieff Symphony 7 Martinon PCO
LSC-2326 Clair de Lune Agoult LPromsS
LSC-2336 Finlandia Mackerra LPromsO
LSC-2342 Sibelius Symphony 2 Monteux LSO
LSC-2405 Sibelius Symphony 5 Gibson LSO
LSC-2418 ELgar Enigma Var/Brahms Haydn Var Monteux LSO
LSC-2450 Schumann Carnaval Meyerbeer Les Patineurs Rignold ROHCG
LSC-2489 Dvorak Symphony 2 Monteux LSO

LSO=London Symphony
LPO=London Philharmonic
ROHCG= Royal Opera House Covent Garden
VPO= Vienna Philharmonic O
PCO= Paris Conservatory O

Larry

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Rich, thanks. Looks like the Export box contains some of the most well known and valuable of the RCA Living Stereos in their original pressings. They were all part of the Absolute Sound Super Discs. None of them are in the Brit Box II. They aren't in any of the boxes I have. The Brit boxes contain records which were done by Decca-London under contract with RCA. In the old days, Decca also did pressings of RCA Living Stereo's in the UK. The orchestras are British and other European ones. Just about all of them were reissued by Decca in their discounted SDD series, maybe 5-10 years after they were released by RCA. Brit Box II contains:
LSC-2077 Strauss, R Till Eulenspiegel, Reiner VPO
LSC-2185 Rahmaninoff Symphony 3 Boult LPO
LSC-2288 Prokofieff Symphony 7 Martinon PCO
LSC-2326 Clair de Lune Agoult LPromsS
LSC-2336 Finlandia Mackerra LPromsO
LSC-2342 Sibelius Symphony 2 Monteux LSO
LSC-2405 Sibelius Symphony 5 Gibson LSO
LSC-2418 ELgar Enigma Var/Brahms Haydn Var Monteux LSO
LSC-2450 Schumann Carnaval Meyerbeer Les Patineurs Rignold ROHCG
LSC-2489 Dvorak Symphony 2 Monteux LSO

LSO=London Symphony
LPO=London Philharmonic
ROHCG= Royal Opera House Covent Garden
VPO= Vienna Philharmonic O
PCO= Paris Conservatory O

Larry

Thanks for the list, Larry! Looks like I'll have to keep my eyes open for a copy of the Brit Box II--once my wallet has recovered from the hammering I've just given it!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing