Early Classic Records boxed sets

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
My understanding is that early in their history (the mid 1990s), Classic Records produced a number of limited edition boxed sets. My recent haul has four of them: The Brit Box; The Export Box; the Deluxe 1S Edition; and The 1S Box, Volume II. I've heard vague references to a Verve boxed set, so I wanted to check: does such a set exist, and were there any other boxed sets from those very early Classic Records days?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
there was a verve jazz box with 10 LPs, the list was $400. btw, congrats on what appears to be a once in a lifetime score. the heart races when you get chances like that, the vinyl high is way better than drugs :D

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
there was a verve jazz box with 10 LPs, the list was $400. btw, congrats on what appears to be a once in a lifetime score. the heart races when you get chances like that, the vinyl high is way better than drugs :D

Ah, that must be the set I'm thinking of--many thanks for the info! I guess I start looking for a copy to complete my collection.

Yes, it was a once in a lifetime score which is why I threw caution to the wind and blew my upgrade budget for some time on it! And you're correct: way better than drugs, and legal too! :)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Rich, how many Mofi's did you score? How many are UHQR's? Sounds like a GREAT score!

Only two UHQRs (Sergeant Pepper and Pines of Rome). I can't recall how many other MFSL records are there, probably about 20. Then there are 22 boxed sets, most of which (I think) are the Operas, plus the early Classic Records boxed sets that prompted this thread.

There are also about 20 records from Reference Recordings, and numerous others from Chesky, Lyrita, Sheffield Labs, Wilson Audio, and Super Analogue. Oh, and a TON of Living Stereos!

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
So it looks like there was a total of five early boxed sets from Classic Records: The Brit Box, The Export Box, The 1S Series Volumes I and II, and the Verve Box. Is that correct, or were there any others?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
So it looks like there was a total of five early boxed sets from Classic Records: The Brit Box, The Export Box, The 1S Series Volumes I and II, and the Verve Box. Is that correct, or were there any others?

I have 5 boxes, but no Export Box. Instead I have Brit Box II. Also Classic did issue several multidisc 45RPM sets in boxes - some of which were similar to the early boxed sets. I have a few of those, too. Belafonte at Carnegie Hall, The Royal Ballet, Albeniz Iberia are three. They reissued the Belafonte and Royal Ballet 45 RPM in a brown box with a different vinyl compound, thicker IIRC. Also Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall was in a white box.

Larry

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Only two UHQRs (Sergeant Pepper and Pines of Rome)

Pines of Rome caught my attention. It was not offered on UHQR however. Here is the list of UHQR's

UHQR Albums (Ultra High Quality Records):

Catalog No. - Artist - Title - Year

UHQR-1-005 - Crime of the Century - Supertramp [19??]

UHQR-1-017 - The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd [19??]

UHQR-1-025 - Finger Paintings - Earl Klugh [19??]

UHQR-1-035 - Tea for the Tillerman - Cat Stevens [19??]

UHQR-1-084 - I, Robot - The Alan Parsons Project [19??]

UHQR-1-100 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles [19??]

UHQR-1-507 - Feste Romane - Maazel, Cleveland Symphony Orchestra [19??]

UHQR-1-510 - Holst: The Planets - Sir Georg Solti, London Philharmonic Orchestra [19??]
http://www.bsnpubs.com/la/mofi/mofi.html

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The two most sought after UHQR's are Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side. The Tea album is a close third and the rest follow. As I'm sure you know, the Wilson LP's are fetching nice prices today as are some of the Lyrita's and some of the MOFI's. If you have any of the Audioquest LP's... particularly the Bruce Katz Lp's, check their pricing!
BTW, guys...check to see IF you have any of the original UK Vertigo Black Sabbath LP's or the original 1st pressing UK Led Zep Lp's on Atlantic....you'll like the current pricing if you do:)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I have 5 boxes, but no Export Box. Instead I have Brit Box II. Also Classic did issue several multidisc 45RPM sets in boxes - some of which were similar to the early boxed sets. I have a few of those, too. Belafonte at Carnegie Hall, The Royal Ballet, Albeniz Iberia are three. They reissued the Belafonte and Royal Ballet 45 RPM in a brown box with a different vinyl compound, thicker IIRC. Also Weavers Reunion at Carnegie Hall was in a white box.

Larry

Ah yes, I saw a reference to a Brit Box II in a letter in one of the boxes, but wasn't sure if that set ever came to be. I also discovered the Royal Ballet boxed set in the collection.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Pines of Rome caught my attention. It was not offered on UHQR however. Here is the list of UHQR's

http://www.bsnpubs.com/la/mofi/mofi.html

Feste Romane is the other one I have (I thought that was Italian for Pines of Rome!) I also have a copy of The Planets, which I bought new ages ago. I still kick myself that I didn't buy the UHQR version of Dark Side of the Moon when it came out--but I was much younger then and still in school, so spending (probably) £100 on one record at that time was unthinkable! I do have a couple of copies of the regular MFSL version, however.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
The two most sought after UHQR's are Sgt. Pepper and Dark Side. The Tea album is a close third and the rest follow. As I'm sure you know, the Wilson LP's are fetching nice prices today as are some of the Lyrita's and some of the MOFI's. If you have any of the Audioquest LP's... particularly the Bruce Katz Lp's, check their pricing!

I'd like DSotM and Tea for sure, and maybe I, Robot also.

There are a few Wilson Audio records in the collection, but only 2 or 3 doubles. So it looks like I'll be hanging on to most of them...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
BTW, guys...check to see IF you have any of the original UK Vertigo Black Sabbath LP's or the original 1st pressing UK Led Zep Lp's on Atlantic....you'll like the current pricing if you do:)

Crime of the Century, sonically, destroys your 1,2,3 selections. IRobot is right up there.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
They all suck. Sell them ALL........to me! LOL!

Just kidding Rich! That is quite the haul you got there!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Crime of the Century, sonically, destroys your 1,2,3 selections. IRobot is right up there.

Christian, I'm NOT talking about the quality/sonics of the recording. I'm talking about the value to record collectors. Check the pricing of the Sgt.Pepper or Dark Side vs. Crime if you don't believe me.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Ah yes, I saw a reference to a Brit Box II in a letter in one of the boxes, but wasn't sure if that set ever came to be. I also discovered the Royal Ballet boxed set in the collection.

Rich, could you list some or all of the Export Box titles. They may be the same as the Brit Box II.

Thanks, Larry

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing