How do you count your records?

How do you count your record collection?

• Total voters

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I'm sure most of us have been asked at least once in the past, "How many records do you have?". If all we're talking about is single LPs the answer is pretty straightforward. But what about albums that consist of more than one LP, or boxed set--or even audiophile editions of single LPs that stretch over four sides? I guess what I'm asking is, do you count the number of titles, or the number LPs (discs)?

Edit: I thought this would make a fun poll, so I created one!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I count titles as one, even if they are spread out over several sides. I only make a distinction when they are boxsets, which usually means an a cardboard "box" to house them in.

Paul McCartney's Wings Over America is counted as ONE LP, although it contains 3 records.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Yep, me too, I count by titles only. I DO record different versions or editions of the same title as separate entities in my database.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I just count linear feet of shelf space they occupy. It's much easier and faster than counting individual disks.

Alternatively, I know how many disks are on three foot and four foot shelves and I just multiply.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
By title. 1 to n.

Copies gets the tenths spot. 1.1, 1.2

Re-issues get their own number

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
One album = 1 count.

One box set like Bob Dylan mono or the recent Beatles box set also counts as one. Partly because I all ready have those LP's and part that it is one release.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
One album = 1 count, also. I have had a few amateur record seller's try and sell an album that contains a double at a two LP price...most LP collector's I know won't go for that. Unless, the LP in question is still below market price that is;)

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
I count titles as one, even if they are spread out over several sides. I only make a distinction when they are boxsets, which usually means an a cardboard "box" to house them in.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Just so that I'm clear, you'd count something like Dave Gilmour's Live in Gdansk boxed set as one title (even though it contains five records), and something like Abba: The Complete Vinyl Collection boxed set (which contains all of their albums) as 10 titles?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
That makes a lot of sense to me. Just so that I'm clear, you'd count something like Dave Gilmour's Live in Gdansk boxed set as one title (even though it contains five records), and something like Abba: The Complete Vinyl Collection boxed set (which contains all of their albums) as 10 titles?

That's an interesting question, but I would probably count at as ONE.

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
I vote for the linear foot method, and I use a count of 100 per linear foot. This is not very accurate but it is close enough for me. I don't have any need for an exact count.

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I keep all of my collection on excel spreadsheet.

Multiple disc box sets occupy one line/entry.

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
If you ask my wife, she'll tell you "count the number of rooms in our house, and multiply by 2,000"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing